Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: burning after intercourse

 ballet7439 - Wed May 11, 2005 2:47 pm

I am a bit concerned because after intercourse, my vagina burns when i urinate and hurts terribly when i wipe or even walk. The pain will continue for a few hours but finally wears away. Is this something that I should very concerned with? Do you have any idea what it could be?
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello,

The very first thing I advise you to do is see your doctor/gynecologist - only they can properly check things out and do the necessary examination/testing to figure out what's up.

Does your partner use a condom when you have sex? If so, it's likely a latex condom.......and the burning you have could be a sensitivity you have to the latex..which is very common. Some condoms also contain a spermicide on the outside of the condom.......most often it's Nonoxynol-9. A lot of women find it very irritating to their vaginal area, too (I know I sure do!). If either of these might be the culprit, try switching to a NON latex condom that contains no spermicide..see if that makes a difference.

Also....something as simple as...are you lubricated enough when you have intercourse? Some women aren't....and they need to use a little water-based lubricant such as KY Jelly or Astroglide to reduce the friction. This is more common as we get older, hormonal changes can cause decreased vaginal lubrication. Make sure it's definitely "water-based" lube, though. You can get this at any pharmacy or place that sells condoms, etc. It's often in the section, too, with women's products (such as pregnancy tests, feminine hygiene products, etc).

I was going to suggest perhaps you have a yeast infection...........but generally the discomfort and burning associated with that wouldn't 'go away after awhile'.......

Have you ever been tested for STDs? Has this been going on for a long time? Do you ever have any discomfort "down there" at other times? Any discharge? How long does it take for the burning to go away after you have sex?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us