Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Havent had a period in months have gained a lot of weight

Enigmatic4u - Sat May 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Hello,

I am 29 years old with one child. My son is 14. For the past year I have had an irregular period or no period at all. I have gained a lot of weight in the past 2 years, over 50 pounds. I lost my job 2 years ago and I started to put on weight then. I have tried to get rid of the weight, but I just can't seem to do it. I have a history of mental illness and am on quite a bit of medication. I stopped taking my birth control pills about a month ago hoping that this would fix the problem.
Is there anyone that has any idea what could be wrong? If so please let me know.

Thank you,
Enigma :(
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat May 14, 2005 2:56 pm

User avatar What meds are you taking? Many of them do cause significant weight gain. The two (irregular period and weight gain) are not necessarily connected. Severe stress, anxiety and depression can all affect your cycle. Have you had a recent gynecological exam? (Pap smear)?

What have you done to lose weight? Special diets do not work, so if that is what you've done, it doesn't count. You have to eat healthy foods and smaller portions and it isn't going to happen without regular excercise - at least 4 times per week.
 Feathers - Wed May 18, 2005 5:19 am

Hi there,

There is the possibility that you could be pregnant--have you had a pregnancy blood
test? Another possibility could be thyroid-related---I urge you to get your TSH level
tested and other thyroid panels done. Just ask your doctor for a CBC, urine test,
and thyroid panel, also a pregnancy test.
Lastly, you could be menopausal or premenopausal and therefore eating more or
retaining more weight. Again, a visit to the doctor is in order.
Also re female health, various kinds of cysts, fatty tumors and ovarian tumors and cysts
can cause weight gain. I would go to an experienced gynecologist as well and request
a complete ultrasound of your uterus and ovaries.
Good Luck to you!
Sincerely,
Lisa, lisashetler@yahoo.com
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed May 18, 2005 8:50 am

User avatar OOPS! I answered the wrong thread! I apologize for the worthless advice!! :oops:

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us