Question: Frequent Menstral Cycles

michellexmyxbell - Mon May 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Is it possible this could be Pre-Menopause?

My frequent menstral cycles have been going on for some time now...During a three month period (2004) of time I had my "friend" seven times and I was adivised to use BCP to regulate my cycles, it seemed to be better cycles were almost 20 days apart for a few months and I was thrilled. Well it's happening again. This time the frequencey is around 14 days from my last "start day". I started on the 2nd day of May (reg. cycle of 4 days) and again on the 15th day of May. Spotty (and very dark) light at first but now regular without cramps or any other advance notice.

It's physically draining and I have supplemented with iron pills as I, more often than not, feel weak and dizzy. I am approching 36 years of age (June) and wonder if this is normal. I was advised, by a (non-medical-professional) friend, that I probally need a "scraping". Regretfully, I was too embarrassed to ask what that was...Please advise and let me know if this needs medical attention.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 8:31 pm

User avatar Hi there,

First off, if you're not being seen by a gynecologist, I highly recommend you do - they "specialize" in issues such as yours, moreso (obviously) than a regular family doctor.

If you're feeling weak and dizzy and you are supplementing w/ iron - you really should ensure you have some bloodwork done to check for anemia, check your iron levels...you surely don't want to oversupplement!

The 'scraping' your friend was referring to is actually called "Endometrial Ablation." It basically consists of removing or destroying the inner lining of the uterus (this is the lining a woman "sheds" normally each month, with her menstrual period. Do a search on Google ( http://www.google.com ) for more info on it. For many women, it's a great alternative to having a hysterectomy for heavy/frequent menstrual periods. Keep in mind though...if you ever plan to have children, this isn't something you'd want to have done.

This is also something you could get good info about, from a good gynecologist.
 aximilli92a - Thu May 26, 2005 6:44 am

Your friend could also have been referring to a D&C or a dilation and curettage where they simply take off the lining that has built up. This is different from an ablation in that your endometrial lining will come back and you may have children afterwards although after several months when the lining rebuilds you may experience heavier bleeding again.