Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: More than one menstral cycle in a month

cheyenne_7794 - Wed May 18, 2005 12:07 am

Hi I am worried it seems like every other month I am cycling 2 times during the month is this something for me to worry about?

I would really like some help on this so I will stop worrying about it.

Thank you
sandra skinner
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 18, 2005 1:10 am

User avatar Hello,
Most cycles take around 28 days to complete, but a normal cycle can be anywhere from 21 days to as long as 35 days. Irregular menstrual cycles are not uncommon in teenage girls, particularly in the two years following your first period. Stress and sudden changes in diet or environment can also affect your cycle. Hence, bleeding twice in a month is not uncommon and unless this recurs monthly for a few months, it's of no consequence.
 Feathers - Wed May 18, 2005 2:08 pm

Hi there,

As the doctor in previous reply said, many factors, such as stress, can cause you to
have irregular or frequent cycles.

Your age is a factor--the older you get, the more reason for looking further into the
cause of these frequent cycles. Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest that
you get a pap smear and a check-up with a gynecologist. Be sure to tell him/her about
this pattern of irregular cycles.

There are a number of factors, particularly as you get past adolescence, that can
cause heavy and/or more frequent cycles---a few of them are hormonal imbalances and
ovarian problems. But regardless of your age, if a problems persists, I would get it
checked out.

Remember that taking good care of your female health now will help preserve your
good health, as well as your fertility, in the future.

Good Luck,
Sincerely,
Lisa, lisashetler@yahoo.com

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us