Question: oral contraceptives and colds

searush - Wed May 18, 2005 2:27 pm

Is there a link between colds, or similar viruses, and the effectiveness of the pill? The last time I had a cold I was on Yasmin and it started making me nauseous, so I stopped taking it, and stopped being nauseous, and switched to Ortho low, thinking it was the pill's fault. I caught another cold, however, and now this pill is causing the same effect, and my period came sooner than expected. So if there is something in the cold virus that affects the pill, is there anything that can be done so that I don't have to stop taking the pill when I am sick?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 18, 2005 5:38 pm

User avatar Hi searush,
Although birth control pills may cause nausea, cold's, viruses, etc. may also as well. It may be that you are particularly sensitive when you become ill, and the combination of the two is having a more exaggerated affect. Have you tried any measures to relieve the episodes of nausea during these periods of time (over the counter products, ginger ale etc.?) If you haven't you may want to attempt this rather than discontinuing or changing the birth control pills.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 8:46 pm

I've never heard of any connection or correlation between oral contraceptives and colds...........nor have I ever heard that the effectiveness of the pill would be reduced when you have a cold.

It's likely just a coincidence that you have another cold - maybe there's things going on in your life that are causing your immune system to be "run down" a little and you're catching colds more easily? Things like: poor diet, under a lot of stress from school/work/family/relationship, being around others who are sick with colds/spreading their germs, etc.

It's not uncommon for some women to experience "nausea" from the Pill......particularly for the first couple of weeks. It will usually subside..but if it doesn't after 2-3 weeks, best to see your doc and tell him/her.......you might need a different type of Pill. I remember years ago when I first started on the pill, I felt queasy for a couple of weeks......(didn't throw up, though)...but it passed.

Make sure, too, that when you stop one type of Pill and go onto another, that you're definitely using another form of birth control for that first pack of new pills..for the entire pack............otherwise you could be at risk of getting pregnant.