Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: fallopian tubes

pudgey - Fri May 20, 2005 4:35 pm

I had surgery on my right fallopian tube 10 yrs ago, then again 1 yr after that. The ob/gyn said it had collapsed and filled with fluid. He did laparoscopic surgery to drain the fluid and fix the tube where it could not close up again. Well, the second week of
December, 2005, I went to the ER thinking that my appendix had ruptured. It was my right tube. The ER doctor did emergency surgery because my right tube had twisted itself in a knot. He said it was strangling itself. So he cut out half of the right tube and I still have all of a healthy left tube. I have also had fluid filled ovarian cysts for 10 yrs. Is there any hope of getting pregnant. I was married on Dec. 20, 2005 and am anxious to begin a family.

Please tell me my chances are if I have any. I truly do want children, but not as bad as my husband.

Thank-you,
pudgey
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat May 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Dear Pudgey,

Ofcourse you can have children and get pregnant in a normal way.....you still have the left tube. Although laparotomies cause adhesions in the pelvis that can interfere with ova(egg) migration to the tube and restricts the wavy,peristaltic movement of the tube... but chances are quite good :) .

You haven't told me which side do you have the ovarian cyst on,right as well?...and why haven't they removed it with the laparotomy?

So have faith and good luck.
 pudgey - Mon May 23, 2005 3:28 pm

Dr. Wafaa: Thanks for responding to my question. I am so ecstatic to learn that I can have children without spending thousands of dollars. The cysts are also on my right ovary. The doctor said they would burst on their own and go away. They said that a lot of sex would help burst them quicker. But when they slowly drain, they hurt really bad. Should I go see another doctor to get them removed?

Thanks,
Pudgey
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Mon May 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Dear Pudgey,

Well, it depends on the cyst size...how come it's been with you since 10 years...well as long as it's not getting bigger then it's allright...or else it might get complicated.

But other than that , you have a healthy left side and soon you're gonna have a healthy cute little baby :D

Best regards

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us