Question: Endometriosis - diagnosis

Libby_anne - Tue May 24, 2005 11:42 pm

Hi, I'm new to this board so forgive me if anyone else has asked similar questions recently.

I saw my GP last week who told me he thinks I may have Endometriosis and has given me referrals to get a pelvic ultrasound and see a gynocologist. I have read a lot about Endometriosis but somehow don't feel I know enough and am very impatient to find out NOW if I have it or not - but I can't get in to see the Gynocologist until next month.

Firstly, can someone explain what happens in a pelvic ultrasound and if its painful... I originally thought it was just a normal external ultrasound... but some things I've heard people say made me realise its actually internally.

Second, is there much chance that its not Endometriosis and if its not, what are they other conditions it could be? I find it painful during sex, and also my hips ache for about 4 days after it - but the pain doesn't start until the second day after sex.

Also, if it is Endometriosis, is there much chance it will interfer with falling pregnant in the future? I have heard age has a play in that - I'm 27.

If someone could explain this a bit that would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Libby
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed May 25, 2005 10:44 am

User avatar This link will be very helpful to educate you on edometriosis and it's written in easy to understand terms.

ENDOMETRIOSIS+&cid=HTHLTH" class="postlink">Link

A pelvic sonogram doesn't hurt in the slightest - however, you will have to have a full bladder. The doctor will insert a "wand" (with a condom!) in your vagina and it shows the sound waves on a monitor. It only takes a minute. He can read it right away, so you won't have to wait for the results.
 NikkyLeClair - Wed May 25, 2005 1:22 pm

I went 7 months before being diagnosed. That included 3 pelvic & transvaginal ultrasounds, as well as an MRI and biopsy. I have 2 children and I am 24, so yes you can become pregnant. The only reason I got I diagnosis is that I got my tubes tide, and they saw it. A laprascopy is the only way to diagnose this adequately.

Nikky
 Libby_anne - Wed May 25, 2005 6:30 pm

Thats funny that everyone I've spoken to have said I need a full bladder - but when I booked the appointment for the ultrasound they told me I need to make sure I have an empty bladder. Do you know if there'd be a reason for that?

Thanks for your info.
Libby :)
 NikkyLeClair - Fri May 27, 2005 8:08 am

You need a full bladder for the pelvic U/S, and an empty bladder for the transvaginal U/S.

Nikky
 Amy T, RN - Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:15 am

dear libby anne, i too have been diagnosed with endo aprox 5 yrs ago. this was done by way of exploratory laproscopy during a course of infertility treatment. extensive endo can result in infertility but there are treatments to help with infertility including surgery, drug therapy and ivf. i do have one child but am unable to have any more. i was however told i was a prime canidate for ivf due to my healthy pregnancy with my daughter. do not get discouraged. good luck, wvnurse