Question: tsh test

rene1471 - Sun May 29, 2005 9:40 pm

my Gynecologist recently diganosed me w/a uterus disease called Adinomiosis (sorry for the spelling) and after trying diffrent things to stop the pain like birth control pills and the shot that puts you into menopause temperaraly to no avail we (doc and I) both decided that a partial hysterectomy is best but my insurance company denied the request saying on the denial letter that a pelvic sonagram or a tsh test would need to be done.......now i know what a pelvic sonagram is. ....and determined that a tsh test has to do w/your thyroid....why would a tsh test be needed or required befor a hystorectomy is done due to a disease in the uterus?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun May 29, 2005 9:53 pm

User avatar Right - an underactive thyroid would produce more TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) than normal and can cause irregular bleeding in some women. The pelvic sonogram may also suggest other abnormalities, like fibroid tumors that cause heavy bleeding with clotting.

A hysterectomy is a very drastic step to take just to stop bleeding without looking at all other possible explanations first. Your insurance company is doing what is in your best interest, believe it or not.
 beam - Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:30 pm

I have been having abnormal pap smears since 1997. I have been through a battery of testing, surgeries, and still nothing changes. They will not give me my records and my new doctor has been only given a small portion of them. I have extreme bleeding and extreme pain.....Last july I had that thermol abrasion thing for my bleeding, but my ins refused to pay...and now..I am all healed? or so the docs say...yet my bleeding is just as bad and my pain worse. I have been diagnosed with endomitriosis, pid, step 3 dysplasia, and ovarian tumors...yet the 3 docs I have had can not seem to agree what is wrong with me.....any suggestions on how I can get and stay well? (I am now 34) thank you in advance!