Question: Miscarry at home

Nisada - Mon May 30, 2005 8:04 pm

I have been reading a lot about miscarrying at home and am a bit confused. I have some questions and hope that someone can answer them. What exactly happens when you miscarry? I know there is discharge. Is the fetus discharged as well and if so how do I know? This is not meant to sound derogatory but is everything just flushed down the toilette? Sounds terrible but what else would one do? Is it necessary that I have to go to the doctor? Will there be any papers that will need to be signed/filled out to have a record that there was potentially a baby?

I also read that if one miscarries there is still an option that one is pregnant. That sounds too confusing to me. How could that be? I thought if you miscarry the baby/pregnancy is terminated? Sorry I am confused and would apreciate any help.

Thank you, Nis
 gabesmom - Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:04 pm

i have miscarried before. sometimes it happens all at once, but when i did it started out as spotting blood, then as days went by it got heavier and heavier. i had like the worst period cramps imaginable. then one day i woke up covered in blood and rushed to the bath room and what came out was a big clump and all the blood was the consistency of thick syrup. yes, it is important to go to the hospital to make sure nothing is wrong like infections, or blood clots. so yes, there will be paperwork to fill out! once you miscarry, that is it, you are not still pregnant!