Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Miscarry at home

Nisada - Mon May 30, 2005 8:04 pm

I have been reading a lot about miscarrying at home and am a bit confused. I have some questions and hope that someone can answer them. What exactly happens when you miscarry? I know there is discharge. Is the fetus discharged as well and if so how do I know? This is not meant to sound derogatory but is everything just flushed down the toilette? Sounds terrible but what else would one do? Is it necessary that I have to go to the doctor? Will there be any papers that will need to be signed/filled out to have a record that there was potentially a baby?

I also read that if one miscarries there is still an option that one is pregnant. That sounds too confusing to me. How could that be? I thought if you miscarry the baby/pregnancy is terminated? Sorry I am confused and would apreciate any help.

Thank you, Nis
 gabesmom - Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:04 pm

i have miscarried before. sometimes it happens all at once, but when i did it started out as spotting blood, then as days went by it got heavier and heavier. i had like the worst period cramps imaginable. then one day i woke up covered in blood and rushed to the bath room and what came out was a big clump and all the blood was the consistency of thick syrup. yes, it is important to go to the hospital to make sure nothing is wrong like infections, or blood clots. so yes, there will be paperwork to fill out! once you miscarry, that is it, you are not still pregnant!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us