Question: Breast Discharge - Question on "spontaneous" in ot

txjessy - Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:41 pm

I searched for other posts on this question, as I didn't want to ask a question that had already been answered. However, I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "spontaneous" discharge, as stated in other replies on the board to the breast discharge questions. I have a dark green to black sticky discharge that comes from my right breast only. It usually only happens upon some type of pressure to my breast, and usually begins as a watery clear..then after a little comes out it turns to the dark green to black. However, I first noticed this was happening because on my bra there would be a little dark spot in the evenings when I went to get undressed to bathe. It wasn't until after noticing that and doing a self breast exam, that I realized there was a greater amount of discharge that would happen with manipulation. My question is...most of the replies talk about whether the discharge is "spontaneous" or if it only happens with pressure/manipulation. Does the discharge that I have with just wearing my bra during the day count as "spontaneous", or is the pressure of the bra considered manipulation?

Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:27 am

User avatar Hi txjessy,
Let me start by first saying that any nipple discharge regardless of whether it is spontaneous or not requires an evaluation by your physician. With that being said, some conditions that may cause this color of nipple discharge are hormone imbalances, pituitary disorders, etc. Inflamed mammary ducts (mammary duct ectasia) often cause this particular color of discharge. Again, contact your physician for an evaluation.