Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal Symptoms

 linaco - Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:40 am

I am so worried i wonder if you can help.

for the past few months i have been experiencing brown, thick, lumpy periods. From what i can gather, this indicates old blood but i don't know why this has recently started from out of nowhere. I appreciate that this could just be normal but, coupled with other symptoms, i am beginning to worry.

The other thing is that i have a recurring sore on my vagina, near the opening, which has been on and off for some months now and it usually seems to appear around about the same time as my period, though this could just be coincidence. There is only one and it is always in the same place and always heals by itself after a week or so but, for the week that it is with me, it is really sore and painful and i think it oozes as it does tend to stick to my underwear.

To give a brief history, i have been wth my partner for three years and we have definitely only slept with each other and, before this, i was sexually active but always used protection. I am on the combinded pill which i changed about 9 months ago as i was experiencing irregular periods. I also had a bartholin's abscess 2 years ago and wondered if it could be related to that.

Thanks for your time and help
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:08 pm

User avatar More than likely it is related. Have you seen your GYN during a flare up? The only way to diagnose it is to see him/her at that time so they can look at it or do a swab of the fluid.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us