Question: BC alternative for irregular periods?

Laurie Ann - Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:39 pm

I have been experiencing irregular periods off and on since the birth of my last child 3 1/2 years ago. Sometimes I skip a month entirely. When I have my period it is heavy in day 2,3 &4 where I need to use a super plus tampon AND a maxipad. Toward the end of my period is when I get really bad cramps. I have a small fibroid that I've had since before the birth of my child and it doesn't seem to bother me. (or maybe that is this cause) I have also had achy muscles/joints and extreme fatigue. I've had my thyroid checked a couple of times but have been told it was normal, but it seems a few of my symptoms might say otherwise. I can't lose weight on any diet /exercise regime. I am 34 now (30 when my child was born) and afterwards I felt as if I was going through menopause with all the hot flashes I got. My hormones are obviously out of whack. I didn't go through this after the birth of my other two children. Is there another alternative to irregualr periods besides BC pills? My husband has had a vasectomy so pregnancy is not a concern, but I hate taking bc pills. They always make me feel sick and gain weight. I have an appointment for my annual next week, and I'd like to be "armed" with some information and/or questions to ask. Should I ask about seeing an endocrinologist? Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:50 am

User avatar Hi Laurie Ann,
Oral contraceptives may be used in the treatment of menstrual irregularities. However, hormone function studies should be performed along with your regular lab work as well as an ultrasound to evaluate the fibroid as the fibroid issue itself may causes heavy vaginal bleeding and significant cramping. The ultrasound can also be used to identify ovarian anomalies such as, for example, polycystic ovarian syndrome. You can ask your physician about a referral to an endocrinologist if he/she feels the dysfunction is related to a disorder in this area.