Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: what is this stuff?

 TenPrin - Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:20 am

I am 19 years old, I am sexually active, and have had unprotected sex about 5 times around may 24-29. For two whole months (april & may) i didn't have a period. which didn't worry me because i am so irregular. but just to make sure, i took ALOT of pregnancy tests (urine) and all of them said negative. well around may 30 or 31 i started having a brown discharge. it doesn't look like blood, even when its in the toilet, it sort of looks powdery brown. it doesn't have an odor, and usually only comes out when i use the restroom. i have no idea what it is and its now june 8 and its still coming out... what could it be?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:08 pm

User avatar It's normal to have the brown discharge (old blood) the few days preceeding your period, however since you had unprotected sex in the last 2 weeks, it's hard to tell if it's implantation bleeding or you're trying to start your period. A pregnancy test wouldn't have shown a positive result between the 24th and today, more than likely since it hasn't been but 9 days since your last time having unprotected sex. The test won't be accurate until the day after you are late for your scheduled period, which in your case isn't scheduled.

Take another test around the 20th if you haven't had a normal period- that will be three weeks after the last risk.

Or you can have a blood test at your doctor's office that are more sensitive.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us