Question: breast milk

amywillis49 - Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:55 am

I have had a tiny amount of milk come from my breasts. My nipple felt funny so when I investigated and touched my breast it came out. Just a small drop.( I am not nursing.) I took a pregnancy test but was negative. Just wondering what it could be if I am not pregnant?
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Hello Amywillis49,

Having read your post, may i ask the ff. questions: is this secretion coming from one breast or both? is the secretion fowl-smelling, blood-streaked etc or just milk-like? there is any pain on the affected nipple/breast or both? do you feel any mass or lumps on both breast if you do your self-breast exam? if yes, is the lump/mass movable, slow or fast-growing? is there secretions before/during/after your menstrual cycle? and speaking of menstrual cycle, when was your last normal menstrual cycle? does it occur every month?
With the above questions in mind, your doctor will be able to determine whether the symptom(s) you feel is of OB-Gyn or surgical in nature, but based on your initial symptom and description, I think this is more of a benign (harmless) cyst. But I just want to rule out a lot of disease entity first by asking you the above questions. Thank you.

Sincerely
M.D.