Question: Pregnancy Ultrasound

ukesd - Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:53 am

I have done my research as most new mothers do and have found that at least two (but usually 3) ultrasounds are done during a pregnancy. Usually one each trimester. I had one at 9 weeks and my doctor won't do another one for the second trimester. He wants to wait til I'm 30 weeks.

I spoke with the receptionist/nurse about this and she said that I may not even get another u/s at all!!! Just the one I recieved at 9 weeks. She said that it is very common to only receive one u/s. I'm sure my doctor is going to do one at 30 weeks but I couldn't believe the nurse said this. I have never heard of such a thing. It was also upseting that she acted as if it was no big deal...as if I wouldn't be upset by not receiving another u/s.

My question is.....Isn't a 2nd trimester u/s sound between 16 and 20 weeks considered to be the norm?? Being a first time mother I am anxious to know the gender and would like to see my baby. Not to mention just to make sure that everything is going the way it should be.

Would it be wrong to demand a second trimester u/s? I feel like I'm overreacting and I hate confrantation (sp?). I know this is not going to be that big of a deal after the baby is here but right now it is. So am I right or wrong? Am I overreacting?
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:13 pm

Hello Ukesd,
How are your doing right now? when was you last normal menstruation (LMP)? Being a first time mom is quite frightening and exciting at the same time. :) It is a normal mechanism for 1st time mothers like you to be what you are feeling right now.
The standard procedure being done on prenatal check ups are as follows:
1. You should have your monthly pre-natal check ups for the first and second
trimesters, then the check ups becomes more frequent as you near your term.
2. On your first trimester ( 0wks-12wks age of gestation) you should have done the ff.
lab exams: complete blood count, urinalysis, ultrasound, ECG or blood sugar.
3. If you have any underlying diseases like hypertension, diabetes, renal/lung problem,
etc, your doctor will have requested ancillary procedures depending on what type of
disease.
4. On your second trimester (16wks-24wks), an ultrasound may or may not be done.
However, if you want to know the gender of your little angel, it is during the 2nd
trimester ultrasound ideally can be done, since all organs are already formed - it only
needs to grow/mature further (hence 9 long months) :) lab exams are optional,
unless an illness occurs which I hope will not happen to you.
5. On your 3rd trimester (week 28-37, max up to 40wks), prenatal check ups becomes
frequent (from every 2wks to weekly as you near your term). lab exams are optional
unless you have an underlying illness.
6. Lastly, you should continue taking your vitamins as prescribed by your OB-Gyn so
that both you and your baby will still be in good health.

Thank you.

M.D.