Question: abnormal pap & compex cyst

eemge - Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:38 am

I finally went to my gyn after getting my periods every 10-14 days. my pap came back abnormal & the US found a complex cyst on my right ovary. I am 34 yrs old and my last exam was 10 yrs ago.
My doctor has me scheduled next week for a colpo and also advised me I needed to consider if i was done having kids etc.

I was kinda stunned when she was talking to me so I didn't even ask any questions at the time.

what kind of questions should I ask when I see her again next week?
and is it normal for how quick she is doing further testing? everyone I've talked to who had an abnormal pap waited 2-3 mos and had a retest.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:42 pm

User avatar The pap smear screens for cervical cancer, but in some cases of advanced uterine cancer, can be abnormal, too.

She is moving ahead quickly because you haven't had a gynecological exam for 10 years, have been having frequent and irregular bleeding, and she doesn't know how long these abnormalities have been present. The culposcopy will allow her to see the cervix clearly and take a biopsy to rule out malignancy. Cervical cancer is a higher risk in sexually active women in childbearing years, but if caught early, easily treated by perhaps only removing a portion of the cervix..

Complex ovarian cysts have a higher incidence of malignancy than simple cysts, which every menstruating woman gets from time to time, so she is asking if you have completed your family, because there is a chance it will have to be removed.

Try not to panic; the pap smear may just show "precancerous" cells, which are watched as you said, it doesn't necessarily mean cancer, but it has to be ruled out.

Ask her what the possibilites are and what treatment options are available to you.

I hope everything turns out ok, hon.
 eemge - Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Well I had the colpo Tuesday and the doc did do a biopsy; actually 4. also before she started she asked her nurse if the endometrial biopsy was scheduled the same day but it wasn't and this was the 1st I had heard of having that....
is there a reason both weren't done at the same time?? I have to go back in 3 wks for that. As much cramping as I've been having I REALLY am looking forward to that.

also she wouldn't really discuss anything further about surgery just said to wait for all of the path. reports to come back.

oh yea I'm hpv+ but my blood work ca125 etc are ok.

anyway just thought I'd update and see if anyone else has had both biopsies done when their pap was abnormal..??
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:01 am

User avatar If you had both done back to back, you would have had very bad pain! She probably wanted to spare you that. She did the colposcopy first, because the cervix had been abnormal for so long, and it was first priority.

Let me know how it goes, I wish you the best. :D

Shannon
 eemge - Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply...

I am trying not to stress out too much about it

it will be July 5 at the earliest they will call since my doc is out all next week and the next biopsy is scheduled July 18 -- so a lot of just waiting!

again thanks for the reply.
 eemge - Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:55 pm

well the 1st biopsy came back dysplasia and I just had the endometrial biopsy done Monday the 18th;
I asked her why the 2nd biopsy and she said it was because of the previous reports showed glandular changes... I am not sure I understand this though

she wanted to do cyrosurgery(sp) on my cervix this week but I put it off for now at least until the 2nd biopsy comes back -she said if abnormal I will need hysterectomy probably..also will recheck the complex cyst on my right ovary for any change.

what exactly could the glandular changes be or mean??

thanks for the info & reply.