Question: Missed Periods on the Pill

girly339 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:07 am

I am taking the Pill (Desogen) and I have now missed three periods. I've taken pregancy tests at the clinic at my school and they came back negative. I am supposed to have some cryogenic work done for dysplaisia (sp.) later this month but I'm nervous since I haven't had a period in so long that something could go wrong.
Is it "normal" to miss three periods on the pill? I'm sure I'm just being a worry wart but this has me nervous would the doctor be able to do anything to know with more certainty than a pregnancy test (since I heard they can be wrong) before doing the procedure?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:09 pm

User avatar It's definitely not normal to miss three in a row. Pregnancy tests used at the doctor's office are the same as the ones you buy in the supermarket; and if you were 1-3 months pregnant there is absolutely no way it would turn up negative, I assure you.

If it were an ectopic pregnancy, sometimes very rarely a test will show negative, but not at this late juncture, and you would be having severe lower left or right sided pain long before that.

It's good that you are going to get checked; it may be nothing, as the pill is kind of known for causing irregular/missing periods in some individuals. How long have you been taking it?
 girly339 - Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:52 pm

I've been on the pill for about 8 months, before that I was on depo. I had normal periods in the beginning but then in March they stopped. I want to change my pill to see if that will help but the doctor I saw here said I should just stick with the one I am on since I'm not pregnant it must be working. I just feel so moody all the time it's like I have permanant PMS, I just want to have a period and get it done with.
i'm going to the doctor for other reasons really but I think I'll have to talk to here about my pill issues before the procedure.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:54 pm

User avatar You really should discuss it with her. Personally, I am no fan of hormonal contraception. Besides the listed risks, it often causes depression, irritability and very reduced sex drive. Maybe discuss another method of birth control with her.
 girly339 - Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:56 am

Thank you very much, just talking about it makes me less worried.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 am

User avatar I don't know how old you are, or if you're married or living with someone, but an IUD is a wonderful method of birth control; the complications are not common. It's very safe and you only think about it after your period when you feel for the string to make sure it's in place. No hormones, you don't feel it and it's 99.0% effective, just like the pill. Here is a link so you can consider if it may be an option for you.

http://www.pamf.org/teen/sex/birthcontrol/iud.html

The serious side effects listed I have not seen but in very rare cases. There may be cramping for a few days afterward while it gets settled, usually not. It is effective the day you have it inserted. I do NOT recommend the Mirena - it has the same hormone (progesterone) as in the pill and will give you side effects very similar to what you are describing. It has a higher percentage of pregnancy and has to be replaced every year as opposed to every 10 years.
 girly339 - Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 pm

I'm 22, and not married yet. I've been told that most doctors (atleast where I go) won't reccomend IUD's for women under 35, since there is even the slight risk of scarring the uterous.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:17 am

User avatar That's the old theory; the risks of that happening are extremely rare - the device would have to actually puncture the uterus which just doesn't happen unless the practitioner doesn't seem to know how to insert one. Even if the body rejects it, the chances are practically nil. It is possible, though, there are no guarantees in medicine.

They do NOT harm the uterus in any way used properly. You can check the positioning every day if you like simply by feeling if the string is there. If you can feel it, it's in place.

Keep looking, many doctors do use it in women who are in long term, monogamous relationships or of course, married.
 avy569 - Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:50 pm

I have been on birth control loestrin 21 for about 6 months now......and i have had intercourse since i have been on it...this month i havent had my period and i have had intercourse...but i have no symptoms of pregnancy .....i have had cramps but no period and in my package it says that i can miss a period and to keep taking the pills and if i miss it again go to the doctor...Can you please give me some advice.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:42 pm

User avatar Missing a period is not uncommon on the pill; if you have taken them every day it is rarely pregnancy. Just follow the instructions on the package, skip the "inactive" pills and you should have a period next month.
 Gracie - Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:39 am

About IUDs
I understand that many doctors don't like to perscribe IUDs to woman that havent had any children yet because it can possibly cause infertility, and doctors like to only give them to woman that have had at least one child.
Is that untrue?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:12 am

User avatar This used to be the belief; however, most of the bad publicity was because of the residual fear of the Dalkon Shield, which was discontinued in the 70's. There is a very slight risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease which can happen (rarely) shortly after insertion, but if the antibiotics are taken as directed for a short course after insertion, there really isn't a problem. There are other causes of PID, like chlamydia for example, not just IUDs. If left untreated, scarring can occur in the fallopian tubes, which could interfere with conception, but it is a very painful condition, and the sufferer will seek treatment long before that happens in most cases.

These days, most GYNs realize the risks are minute, and the benefits great, so the only requirement now is that the woman be in a monogamous relationship.
 mightymel - Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:13 pm

I have been on the pill for 2 full cycles now. I had a period after I finished the first pack, on the exact day that I started the inactive pills...but this time I haven't gotten my period yet. I take the pill everyday, but the time varies by about 2-3 hours.. anywhere from 9pm to midnight. I know I am supposed to take it at the same time everyday but with my schedule it is hard. I have not missed on yet though! I was spotting a couple of times during this cycle...right now I am on the inactive pills, but I have only seen tiny drops of blood after a couple of days. I am getting worried..could I be pregnant? Do I need to wait longer? Is it just a missed period?
 Becca0428 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 am

I went on the contraceptive pill in April this year, i did two cycles of microgygon 30, but it gave me serious hormonal issues, and i was a nightmare to be around, not to mention how it made me feel! i have no changed to Loestrin 20... i still feel depressed about things, But the biggest problem i am now worrying about is that i have missed two periods now.. in the instructions it told me to carry on taking the pill as usual, after my 7 pill free days, the first time, however i have missed another period and i have been sexually active since i started the pill up until the present day. As i am in a long term relationship. Is is possible for me to be pregnant? Also are you still protected from pregnancy when you are on your pill free days?
 echoes77 - Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:09 pm

I use the birth control called Femcon Fe. It was prescribed probably around a year ago. It's the only kind out of 3 that worked for my severe periods. I am a virgin. Yet it's Friday and I was suppose to start my period Sunday. I haven't started all week, and despite the fact I'm a virgin and have not had any kind of sexual anything with anyone, I'm really worried. Is it normal to miss a period? I rarely ever miss pills. Should I be worried?
 Lovinglife. - Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am

I started the pill on November 14th 09 right after the end of my cycle as directed. In December I was spotting for about two weeks, since then I have not had and spotting/bleeding in any way. I am a first time user have never missed a period before starting the pill. I am sexually active, What I was told by my doctor was to use protection the first 7days of starting the pill after that I could stop if I wanted. Could I be pergnant? I am really worried. Is it normal to miss you period? No I have not taken any pregnancy test yet I am planning to this week. If the tests come out negative could something be wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

I will try to answer these several questions.

For Mightymel - missed periods are not uncommon while on the pill but they aren't perfect so when it doubt it's best to take a pregnancy test.

For Becca0428 - pill-free days when taken as prescribed are still protected. However, the pill is not 100% effective so pregnancy is a possibility. So are missed periods since these are hormones we are manipulating with oral contraceptives. If in question, take a test. These are inexpensive and reliable.

For Ehoes77 - again, a missed period is quite normal and nothing to worry about when you are not sexually active. Try to relax.