Question: vaginal fissure/yeast infection?

leeslp - Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:42 pm

hi,
i recently had sex (a week ago) and did not use enough lubrication and was pretty sore/swollen afterwars. a few days went by and the pain continued after looking i noticed a painful tear on the inside of my labia minora. this pain has gotten worse and i now have a thin white discharge and it burns bad when i pee. i went to urgent care and the doc said i do have a fissure (so painful i was crying the minute he examed me)and is treating me for a yeast infection. i have a hx of more severe yeast infection (had one 2 mos ago). i also notice white bumps on the inside of my labia, a few swollen red bumps on the outside of my labia major, and overall i am very red/swollen and extremely tender. before this sexual encounter i was tested for all STDs (HIV, herpes, and any other blood tests too). i have made an appt. with my obgyn but she can't get me in until late next week. i'm concerned that my tear won't heal due to the infection and want to know what i can do to help myself heal and reduce the pain. i am so swollen and i even have a difficult time inserting the cream for my yeast infection as the swelling and pain make it difficult for me to do so. any suggestions or help until my visit (and if you think a yeast infection is the appropriate dx) would be great.
 Kim C, RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:51 pm

Call your OB/GYN's office and ask to speak with his/her nurse, and try to get an appointment sooner. Be detailed with your symptoms and explain as well how much discomfort you're in.

If that's not a possibility, then go back to urgent care. The burning when you pee sounds like a possible urinary tract infection, and in general you sound like you need a reevaluation. You also need to be recultured for all STD's.

Meanwhile, NO SEX (not that I think you'd want that with the pain you're in), drink lots of fluids (cranberry juice is always good, along with water), take a pain reliever/anti-inflammatory like Advil, and soaking your bottom in some warm sitz baths may help as well.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
 leeslp - Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:47 pm

yea at UC they tested me for a UTI and it came back negative. i've read now that it could burn b/c of the tear or infection. i'm hoping it is a yeast infection...scary to think this encounter could have infected me with something else :( (esp. since this is my long distance bf who was with in dec) i'll def. get re-tested though.

thanks again