Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: 4 missed pills in a row

mercedes28 - Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:59 am

Hello, I just discovered that I had forgotten to take my ortho tricyclenLo pills for the last four days. I just had sex on Wednesday and I havent taken any since Thursday. Now its Sunday. I paniced and I took Thursdays and Fridays right away. Im a sunday starter and my last period ended about 9 days ago (when I started a new pack). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mercedes28 : :oops:
 Kim C, RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:11 pm

From the Ortho Tricyclen Lo website:

If you MISS THREE OR MORE white, light blue, or dark blue "active" pills in a row in WEEK 1, WEEK 2 or WEEK 3 : Keep taking one pill every day until Sunday only if you are a Sunday Starter. On Sunday, THROW OUT the rest of the pack and start a new pack of pills that same day. However, if you are a Day 1 Starter, THROW OUT the rest of the pill pack and start a new pack that same day. You may not have your period this month but this is to be expected. However, if you miss your period two months in a row, call your healthcare professional because you might be pregnant.

You COULD BECOME PREGNANT if you have sex in the seven days after you miss two or more pills. You MUST use another birth control method (such as condoms or spermicide) as a back-up method during those seven days.

Good luck! :D
 Kim C, RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:14 pm

I forgot to erase the Day 1 starter info, so ignore that!! You will follow the instructions for Sunday starters. To clarify:

Keep taking one pill every day until Sunday only if you are a Sunday Starter. On Sunday, THROW OUT the rest of the pack and start a new pack of pills that same day.

Again, use a back up method of birth control. :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us