Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: feel like i am dying

 jill - Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:53 am

i have posted to the orthopedics forum before and i swear i am not trying to duplicate, but this question is more apropriate here.since months ago, i had hip pain and back pain, but more recently other problems have developed. i am sure if they are related, i am in MUCH PAIN, darvocet, vicodin, lidocaine patches and ice are not helping much. i am lactating without being pregnant and i have not nursed in over 5 years. i have extreme menstrual-like cramps, though it is not the right time, nor is it ovulation time. my back and legs also hurt terribly and i feel like barfing most of the time. also my blood pressure is stuck around 160-190 over 90-100. my blood pressureis usually fantastic - 110 over 70. the only time i ever had high blood pressure was when i got eclampsia from being pregnant. i went to the gyn and she checkjed prolactin levels and did an exam and a pregnancy test. prolactin was fine, and i am not pregnant. i gues the exam was fine too. i get worse every day. it is like being shocked by a horse fence, only instead of lasting a second it lasts for many hours. it is horrible. please tell me if you have any suggestions or ideas as to what could cause these symptoms. i am desperate. i cannot take this constant horrible pain. i am trying to get help from my primary care doctor, but i recently swit\ched doctors and my old doctor will not give me my records, and my new doctor will not see me without them. please help me. thank you very much for your time.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:42 pm

User avatar You do need to see at least an Internist so he can evaluate all your symptoms. Your medical records are yours, no office has the right to refuse them to you. Some office do charge a fee for the copying (they have to keep the original), but it is not legal to withold them. I also cannot believe a doctor would refuse to see you based on your having records.

If your blood pressure is that high, get to the nearest ER; you are running the risk of a stroke or heart attack.
 jill - Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:45 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. i did end up going to the ER because the tetany got horribly out of control and when i can not stop it i feel like i am dying, it does not hurt at first, but the longer it goes the more my muscles hurt until it is excruciating. my blood pressure varied dramtically while i was there, but it was not high or low enough to kill me and eventually settled back to normal.

I have another question i was hoping you could help me with. I had pelvic and TV sonograms last week. the imaging place wrote on the results that i should come back at a different stage of my cycle because they thought i was on my period which i was not. have you ever heard of this happening? is there some kind of common cause for it? when i went for a MRI of my hips several months ago, they thought the same thing then because of cysts or something, but i was not then either.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:09 am

User avatar The ER is there to stabilize emergencies, but don't do all the tests to diagnose a problem. They did the ultrasound to look for ovarian cysts as well as any emergent abdominal abnormalities. If they thought you were menstruating, the cyst may have already resolved itself, usually the pain from those is around midcycle.

From your symptoms, you do not have tetany. Your blood pressure was likely due to extreme anxiety, and many of your symptoms if ruled out physically for anything serious can also be caused by anxiety.

Make an appointment with an Internist; they are the specialty for diagnoses. They will take the time to do every test needed to find out if there is anything seriously wrong.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us