Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: I need some help/advise.

Catherine Fergerson - Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:56 am

I had my last period approximately May 26 or 27th. About a week after my period ended I believe it was the 3 or 4th or 5th (sorry can't remeber the dates) I started having breast soreness like I was getting my period again. A few days later right on cue for 3 days I kept waking up arond 5 in the morning with nausea, and mid back pain and small stomache cramping. It would last for like 2 hours and go away, and I was fine for the rest of the day. It's been like that for 7-8 days now. Today I started to actually bleed a bit. Not too much a tiny bit, enough to notice. My husband and I have been together since we were 13, married at 20 and still do not have any children at age 25. I have always been afraid of using birth control, so we use the withdrawl method, or condoms when needed. I have taken a pregnauncy test about 3 days ago and it came out negative. Still my period is not due for at least another week, but my body seems to be acting really weird.
I cannot afford to pay to see a doctor, and cannot seem to locate any free clinic that will do a blood test to find out if I am pregnaunt. Can you offer me any advise at all, as to what may be going on, or what I should do?

Thank you for your time.

Catherine Fergerson
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:05 am

User avatar Hi Catherine,
I would suggest just waiting to see if your menstral cycle arrives when expected and if it does not, the you may want to repeat a pregnancy test a few days after the expected date. I don't know what part of Ohio you are located but do the following: In a Google Search if you type in free pregnancy clinics in Ohio and scroll down to
Google Directory - Health > Reproductive Health > Clinics and ...
click on the link, there are some resources that appear to be available in the Ohio area. If this is not helpful let me know and I will attempt to locate something more specific.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Catherine Fergerson - Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:06 pm

I was able to find planned parenthood. I will make an appointment to get checked. I started to bleed a little bit last night, but then it went away. Then when I woke up this morning I had the shakes, no pain anywhere Like I normally would for my periods. My periods are usually bad long heavy and painful. I started bleeding a little bit this morning, and it was a brownish color. Other than that I feel fine, it just doesnt look or feel right.
 Catherine Fergerson - Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Well the bleeding for the most part has stopped, I am so very confused lol.
 Catherine Fergerson - Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:42 pm

Ok actually went to the hospital earlier today. After a full exam ( which was only the second one i had in my life and I was petrified) a urine and blood test, it came back negative ( which is good, because both me and my husband weren't trying to concieve.) However, blood was taken from my cervix ( I was bleeding but still not normally or like a period, it came and went) The blood was tested, and a virus was found, as well as dehydration and dystfunctional uterine bleeding.

Now while I was at the hospital for hours waiting in the room terrified, I understand a lot of people come in and need help and some more important than others, I know there was a person next to me that had died, but the doctor came in and only told me it was negative and left. I had tons of questions and really started to get upset since i got no explinations about anything. Then the male nurse came in and told me the rest. I just wish someone had explained what is wrong with me.
Basically from what I understand my cycle went out of wack. Which had never happened before, and symptoms i have been feeling I was told are normal and possibly even could be False pregnauncy.
Although I still feel nausea at times that come and go, and my uterus itself feels brusied, I am also dizzy at times and feel weak. Which they also told me might be the case.

I was also told that taking some birth control pills could basically reset my cycle, if i want to concieve. Now I do want to conceive, maybe not today or tomorrow, but I'm only 24 and would like to have a kid in the next few years. I have never taken any kind of birth control and have only ever had one partner, my husband my entire life.

More than anything my questions are simple and I'm beggin a proffesional to please answer them, since I left just about as scared as I went into the hospital. I understand some things are more important, but my body and its health are important to me as well.

1. What is dysfuctional uteris bleeding?

2. Will birth control fix this? ( I have been opposed to birth control because I never wanted my hormones played with, but if I have a problem that a pill can fix by taking it for a few months, I can sacrifice that belief then. Basically I was told taking it for like 2-3 months would reset it and I can stop. Is this true?)

3. Virus infection? I was told by the nurse there is no fix for this and your body needs to basically heal itself. Could it be as simple as the cold sore I got this morning that they found?

4. I was told to relax, rest a whole lot, drink many fluids. I have lots of weakness feeling, and tiredness, but can I do everyday things like housecleaning, or sitting at the computer for my classes for college online? Or should i just lie down?

Sorry that this is too long, I really do not have a lot of money, and wish that I did so I could see the doctors that I need to or may need to, I guess I just want my mind at ease. I was given a number for woman's health and told to make an appointment, for a follow-up. Im going to do that, and let them know I have no insurance and all, and hope that they can still help me. Is there anything I should specifically ask for or question about during that appointment?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us