Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Thick Hymen

JaneSmith - Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:50 am

Is it possible for a gynaecologist to simply snip a septate hymen which is 4mm thick? Or would there be something more involed?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:07 pm

What is your age? What is the indication for your request?

A gynaecologist can perform minor surgery for a septate hymen. In this procedure, the extra band of tissue is removed to create a normal-sized vaginal opening.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 troubled - Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:20 am

Hello

I am 18 years old and recently found out that I used to have a septate hymen. When I was younger actually cut it myself with scissors. Will this cause me troubles now or in the future?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:42 pm

It was wrong to have conducted a surgical procedure on yourself because the diagnosis and treatment of a septate hymen should be handled by a gynaecologist. Your hymen is inaccessible to you for a good view, which is important in any surgical procedure.
Hopefully, nothing went wrong during your self-inflicted surgery, but physical examination by a gynaecologist is necessary to confirm that.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 troubled - Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:52 am

Thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us