Question: Thick Hymen

JaneSmith - Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:50 am

Is it possible for a gynaecologist to simply snip a septate hymen which is 4mm thick? Or would there be something more involed?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:07 pm

What is your age? What is the indication for your request?

A gynaecologist can perform minor surgery for a septate hymen. In this procedure, the extra band of tissue is removed to create a normal-sized vaginal opening.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 troubled - Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:20 am

Hello

I am 18 years old and recently found out that I used to have a septate hymen. When I was younger actually cut it myself with scissors. Will this cause me troubles now or in the future?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:42 pm

It was wrong to have conducted a surgical procedure on yourself because the diagnosis and treatment of a septate hymen should be handled by a gynaecologist. Your hymen is inaccessible to you for a good view, which is important in any surgical procedure.
Hopefully, nothing went wrong during your self-inflicted surgery, but physical examination by a gynaecologist is necessary to confirm that.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 troubled - Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:52 am