Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: No pill no period...help!

Kaylynn24 - Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:16 pm

I am 24 and stopped taking the contraceptive Mircette in december after being on the pill for about 4 years. My period came regularly for 3 consecutive months after discontinuing the pill. The last day of my last menstruation was March 17th. It has now been more than 3 months since my last menstruation. I am really concerned and do not know what would cause this. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests recently and they have both come back negative. Should I be worried? Advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I don't know what's wrong with me! [color=red][/color][size=18][/size]
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:00 pm

User avatar It is not uncommon to have irregular periods for months after stopping the pill; but not having one for three months is something you should see your GYN about; when was the last pregnancy test you took? What are you using for birth control? Have you had any unprotected sex in the last three months?
 Kaylynn24 - Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:48 pm

I am not on the pill now, but in December I stopped using the oral contraceptive Mircette after having been on the pill for 4 years. I have not had unprotected sex in the last 3 months and the last pregnancy test I took was three weeks ago. Of course it was negative. I had my period 3 times after discontinuing the pill and then it just stopped and it has been about 3 months. Do you think that this could be related to me stopping the pill? I have been putting off going to see a doctor because I do not have insurance until after my wedding in another month and a half. Is there anything that I can do to help trigger my period? Anything I can buy over the counter? THANK YOU (Ilovepatients) for your response and I look forward to more advice!!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:15 am

User avatar Your missed periods are most likely the result of stopping the pill. It is not uncommon to miss and/or have irregular periods even for 6 months, but this usually happens if you were irregular on the pill.

It has been 6 months, so you can either wait a couple more weeks, or call your doctor for her opinion, and unfortunately there isn't anything you can take or do to start your periods.

I hope this helps :D

Shannon
 Penny15 - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:11 pm

I am 16 years old and have had my period for over 5 years now. It isn't unusual for it to be a few days late, and once it's been 2 weeks late, but now it's 3 weeks late. It's never been this late before, and I've never had sex, so what could it be? Should I go to the doctor? My mom thinks that I might have to go on the pill, that that will make me more regular, is that a good idea?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us