Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Painful, Itchy Bumps In spots not supposed to be

 TooYoung24 - Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:54 am

:cry: Hi everyone,
I have these painful bumps and itchy bumps where my butt cheeks meet the back of your leg there and also between my cheeks and one near my vaginal opening. Like I said they either itch or hurt badly. I have had a problem before with bumps on my groin and underarms that were pussy and got as big as a quarter were very painful and couldnt let anything not even clothing touch them. Then I have had the bumps under my butt cheeks all my life but they are painful to sit on toilet or just sit. My Gyno said there normal and I had a baby 18 months ago and was checked and told was clear of STD's. Now I have one by my vaginal opening that hurts a little, only noticable when I wipe and then the ones between my cheeks hurt pretty bad when one check rubs against the other or I sit. At night I will wake up scratchin' my but to death. Its grose. Its been going on for about 3-4 weeks now. I don't have herpes do I? I was checked and I am married and I have been faithful and I trust he has too. Please help. If it is a skin condition thing do I see my gyno for the genital part or a skin doctor. and should I see a skin doctor for my armpits or my gyno. I have no insurance I don't know what to do. I did read something about auto immune deficiency disorder and my dad has that and hes a diabetic. Could this be my problem?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:53 pm

User avatar It sounds very much like folliculitis which is an inflammation of the hair follicle. It can become infected and become a boil (painful, pus filled lump), which are commonly seen in the armpits.

This does happen frequently in diabetics; ask your doctor about being tested, but it certainly doesn't mean you are diabetic.

You should see a doctor,GPs often can treat boils. Ask beforehand if he can, if not, see a dermatologist. Boils often need to be lanced to let the pus drain out in order to heal. The uninfected folliculitis can be treated with topical antibiotics, but boils generally need oral ABs.

To prevent the problem in the future, keep the skin clean and dry.
 maiden75 - Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:34 pm


I'm not a doctor or anything, but I have had the same thing since I had my first child 10 years ago. It's called Hidradenitis Suppurativa. It's not contagious, not an STD. Please check out this website, I think it will help you figure out if this is what you have. I just figured it out recently and finally have a name and reason for these stupid bumps and boils. Mine is worse in the summer and around my period. They tend to happen where you sweat and where the skin rubs together. There's also a support group online you can join if you want to talk to the rest of us with's a great group with lots of great people and great advice...home remedies, etc....good luck, Angie

my email is ... ppurativa/

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us