Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: white discharge

abby5 - Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:42 pm

please could you help me. I have small amounts of white discharge which mostly happens during movement. I have had all the relevant sexual health tests and they have come back negative. 4 months ago i had a mildly abnormal smear test and i am returning in a month to repeat the test. I also sometimes feel a bit sticky near the labia and this comes and goes. For the past couple of months i have had a spot of bleeding mid cycle aswell accompanied by clear discharge. Please could you let me know if this is normal or not. Thank you.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 am

User avatar Hello,

A healthy vagina produces secretions to cleanse and regulate itself, similar to how saliva cleanses and regulates the environment of the mouth. These vaginal secretions are normal vaginal discharges. Every woman has vaginal discharge.

Normal vaginal discharge can be clear, cloudy white and sometimes be thin and stringy. Changes in the normal discharge can occur for reasons including menstrual cycle, stress, pregnancy, medications such as birth control pills, and sexual arousal.

If you start experiencing any of the following symptoms you have a vaginal infection:
• Discharge accompanied by itching, rash or soreness
• Persistent, increased discharge
• Burning on skin during urination
• White, clumpy discharge (somewhat like cottage cheese)
• Grey/white or yellow/green discharge with a foul odor
• Foul/fishy odor with discharge
• Increased odor to discharge immediately after intercourse

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us