Question: Pain and blood after intercourse, too frequent periods etc

Martha - Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:15 am

Hi
I am fed up and need some help advice.

For three years I have had red brown discharge the week before a period.
With no examination or tests, I was told it is probably my age... I am 46.
My last cervical smear was bout 4 or 5 years ago, it hurt and I bled like a pig, the results came back normal.

For 18 months I have experenced low abdominal pain, sharp pain which occurs after sex and can also occur during the middle week of my cycle all on its own, It usually lasts for a few days or up to a couple of weeks and goes when I get my next menstruation.

I had a laparoscopy two months back and nothing was found. I have seince been offered hormone treatment (to see if it makes any difference) and anti deprressants (to see if it has any effect on the pain), both of which I have refused as I do not want any of the side affects that goes with the treatments.

I am now experiencing bleeding after sex, the brown red/ discharge is almost continual and my periods are getting much too frequent. I have had two just two weeks apart and others about 5 days early.

I cannot see my Doc until next week as he is on holiday! However, I am totallly miserable and fed up. I want to have a hysterectomy now with no arguments, as the gyne so far, can't find anything but the symptoms keep coming.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on please?
Also what should I say to my Doc next week, apart from 'Hysterectomy pronto!'. My sex life is dead in the water and if this goes on much longer, my marriage will soon follow.

My Mother died aged 46 of stomach cancer, her ovaries where also affected, Her sister died aged 47 of Ovarian Cancer. I have had a scan and a blood test and been told I do not have Ovarian cancer.

yours in despair
Martha
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:19 am

User avatar Hi Martha,
When there is a change in hormone levels, as with perimenopause/menopause, the lining of the vagina thins. This is one of many of the conditions that may cause bleeding after intercourse. An infection, lesion in the vagina, on the cervix, trauma during intercourse, etc. may also cause this frustrating effect. My concern for you, why has it been such an extended period of time since you have had a Pap Smear? This should have been one of the first things done. Labs to check for changes in hormone function, FSH, Thyroid etc. should also be completed. Ovarian cysts can be another culprit to the pain you are describing which may spontaneously disappear with the onset of menstruation. Even though you have had a laparoscopy recently, taking into consideration your family history of stomach and ovarian cancer, I would suggest inquiring about a transvaginal ultrasound (even if one's already been done) as well as the previously mentioned tests.
 Martha - Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:42 am

Hi Rntdj
This is the Uk. after a certain age the smears goes from 3 to 5 years. I am probably due for another anytime so I will ask for one.

They did do a vaginal scan as well as an abdominal one at christmas, they had to as they could only see one ovary with the abdominal bit so went inside to look for th other ovary,
They also did a blood test to look for a marker for Ovarian cancer, both results came back ok.

I did have some hormone bloods about a year back and they said I was not menopausal, but they told me nothing other than that.

Not having women still alive in my family at or after menopause, I have no idea what happens at this time, from what I have read about it, none of what I have is mentioned.

I have managed to get an appoinment with the GP tomorrow, so I will ask for this all to be stopped permanently, whatever is causing it, I have truly had enough of the situation now.

Many thanks for your reply, if it is Peri menopause then at least it isn't cancer

best wishes
Martha
 IB2010 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 pm

I am 17 years old. I first got my period at age 13 and have had irregular periods ever since. However, they have always been too far apart, not too frequent. My last period ended on Dec. 23rd of 2008, but then on New Year's Day I started bleeding again. I'm not sure whether it's another period, but it sure appears like one. I had intercourse the night before, but nothing unusual happened so I don't believe that's the cause. My parnter and I have also only been with each other so I don't believe an STD could be the cause. I have no idea what could cause this; I haven't changed my lifestyle in any way (diet, exercise, stress, etc). I also have no major abnormalities in my family's medical history with the exception of an abdominal aortic anneurism in my grandfather and colon cancer with my uncle (both on differing sides of the family). Please, any feedback or ideas as to why this has happened would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Lauren