Question: allergic reaction to depo shot

basketcase - Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 pm

I have been getting the depo shot for the last nine years. the last shot that i received was from a different clinic than I usually go to. With this last shot I broke out in hives and facial swelling. Could this be because this clinic used a generic make up of the depo shot? and do you have any suggestions on how to control the hives other than allergy meds?

Thank you in advance for your help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:21 am

User avatar Hi basketcase,
Allergic reactions to medications can happen at anytime even if you have taken a medication without any difficulties in the past. Generic, or brand should not make a difference either way. There has been some research that suggests long term use of Depo-Provera effects bone density and calcium supplements should be taken while on this form of birth control. If you have had an allergic reaction, taking into consideration that with each exposure to the allergin the reaction worsens, I would consider another form of birth control. You may want to inquire about a bone density study as well.