Question: Severe pelvic floor muscle pain!!!!!!!

Fibrotears - Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:34 am

Dear Dr.

I'm 20 and live in South Africa.

I have had SEVERE and CHRONIC vaginal and rectal muscle spasms for 3 years now. I was diagnosed with levator ani syndrome and fibromyalgia.

I was on every medication you can think of to get rid of the spasms. Tegretol, Adelat, Catapress, Trepeline, Tofranol, muscle relaxants like Lioresal, Robaxin etc. I use Tramadol daily but that doesn't even make a dent in the pain.

I had Botox injection in the triggerpoints intravaginally, twice. My GP injected Lidocain and later Marcain and DepoMedrol at least 15 times intravaginally. I had pudendal nerve decompression surgeries. NOTHING WORKED!!!

With examination several triggerpoints can be felt in the levator ani muscle.

The pain is very extreme and I cannot live with it anymore but the doctors here have told me just to live with the pain!

Can you please help me and give me advise on what to do!!

Fibrotears
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:38 pm

User avatar More and more Fibromyalgia is being recognized as one of the more prevalent chronic pain illnesses. Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal aches, pain and stiffness, soft tissue tenderness, fatigue, and sleeplessness. Most researchers agree that FM or Fibromyalgia is caused by neuroendocrine/neurotransmitter dysregulation. A Fibromyalgia sufferer experiences extreme pain amplification due to abnormal sensory processing in the central nervous system. Fibromyalgia most commonly occur in the following areas of the body:

Neck
Back
Shoulders
Pelvic area
Hands

Based on my research, no one treatment will work for Levator Ani Syndrome, however, in some patients, Neurontin, Elavil, and Flexeril help to break the spasm. Ask your doctor about these medications.

Good Luck.