Question: could I be pregnant?

cat - Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:44 am

Hi, I am 26 and stopped the pill a on june 22nd. My husband and I are trying to conceive. In the last week and a half I have been experiencing nausea on and off, headaches, extreme fatigue, light-headiness and backache. Also this morning I felt my heart was beating stronger. Some smells that never bothered me before make me nauseous and chocolate that I used to love, doesnt taste nice, has kind of metallic taste. Could I be pregnant? It will be 28days nxt week since my last period but my last period was when I was still on the pill. If I am pregnant, when is the best time to do a pregnancy test?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:23 am

Your symptoms sure are taking on a familiar sound, there may be a congratulations in the future for you and your husband.

You may be able to get a result from a home pregnancy test now. Your doctor can do a blood test that will pick up your pregnancy much sooner than a urine test. If you would like to test at home, try to find a HOME PREGNANCY TEST that will pick up hCG ( human chorionic gonadotropin) levels around 15-20 mIU/ml.

HCG is measured in milli-international units per millimeter (mIU/ml). HCG is first detectable in the blood as early as seven or eight days after the fertilization of the egg has taken place.

The average hCG level at 14 days past ovulation is 48 mIU/ml, 16 days past ovulation is 95 mIU/ml, 18 days past ovulation is 292 mIU/ml, 20 days past ovulation is 522 mIU/ml, etc. In general, the HCG levels will double every two to three days in early pregnancy so it should show up on a pregnancy test by the time you are due for your next period.
 cat - Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:35 pm

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply. I did a test yesterday but it was negative, could I still be pregnant though?
 blondie143 - Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:45 pm

Dear Doctors,

my period is over a month overdue,i ve had unprotected sex, ive taken two tests at a clinic and they have turned out negative i justfeel like theres something wrong. i want to know is its maybe something i ate or drank that is effecting the tests.

please post me back..

thanks so much
 girlfrn - Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:07 pm

hi, back in august i was taken off depro provera after 6 years and put on birth control pills to regulate me so i can have my second child. well for the past week i have no felt normal, i have frequent urination, slight pelvic pressure, naseous at times and feel tired all the time. i recently went for a annual physical and the pregnancy test came back negative. when we went away on vacation i forgot to take my pill one day but took it the next day as soon i remembered. we had unprotected sex during the time which was supposed to have been my period but i was not bleeding yet. i didnt start bleeding til the last day of the dummy pills and it was very brief. when the doctor did a internal exam, my uterus was a little tender. they say every pregnancy is different, is it possible that this could be the very early signs of a pregnancy?
 hanahmae - Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:20 pm

I was recently hospitalized for ecoli, which my 2 year old, mom and husband were also hospitalized for. I am now 4 days late and am on the pill. I know the antibotics I have been on for about 3 weeks could have affected my pills. However, I have taken 3 pregnancy tests this weekend and all were positive. My question is whether any of the medicines I was given in the hospital could cause false positive home pregancy test. I have been given levequin (antiboitics), demerol, phernagan, vicodin, and bentil.
 Satchella - Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:07 pm

I am 23 years old and my fiancé is 23 as well. We have been trying to get pregnant for about 5 months now. I stopped taking Depo-Provera Nov 2004. I haven't been on birth control since. I've been to my OBGYN and he gave me a blood test to see if I was ovulating and test my thyroid levels. My test were good. I do ovulate. He also ordered a HSG test that I had done Jan 3rd. I've had normal periods every 28-30 days. My last period was Dec 26th. So I was due to start again Around Jan 22nd or 23rd. It's now Jan 26th and I have not started my period (day 32). I've been having all the symptoms of my period. My breasts are sore and swollen, my back hurts, I have cramping, headaches every day. But no period. I also had some slightly sharp pains in my lower left abdomen last week and beginning of this but those went away. I took a pregnancy test (first response) on Wed Jan 25 it was negative. Is it possible that I'm pregnant? Otherwise why am I having all these symptoms and no period. Could the HSG test have changed my cycle. Please help?
 lemonshimmers - Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm

HI, I know how you must be feeling right now...very anxious !!!!and desperately wanting to know.

I am nearing 2 months pregnant and I didn't get a positive test result (sort of faint line)until 2-3 days after my period was due (I have a 25 day cycle shorter). And I used First Response...in my opinion that is the best HPT for early detection!!!

In my opinion very few women I have known of many have gotten a positive result until at least the day of to 7 days after there due period. Unless for some success that they conceived the very first day of ovulation.

When I went to my doctor for a quantitative blood hcg they told me I was exactly 4 weeks pregnant so thats why I got a faint line, being barely pregnant.

I had a miscarriage in november and I was devistated it was only 5 weeks but it still counts.

I hope this gives you some encouragement and you get a positive result.

Best of luck:)
 Satchella - Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 pm

lemonshimmers wrote:HI, I know how you must be feeling right now...very anxious !!!!and desperately wanting to know.

Best of luck:)

Thank your for your response. I'm sure that i'm pregnant because Im a week late now. I still haven't taken another test but I just know. Anyway Thanks again for your help
 leigh92 - Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 pm

i have the implanon implant ive had it for about 3 months. ive got stomach cramps and i just cry for no reason im worried i can be pregnant?
ive been eating more then normal, but then i felt sick after dinner?
i need help!! im worried help !!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:31 pm

User avatar Hello Leigh92,
The implanon is a reliable method of contraceptive but nothing is 100%. The symptoms you describe could come from any number of causes. If in doubt, take a pregnancy test. If negative, you should explore your continuing symptoms with your healthcare provider and even consider emotional health as well as physical.

umareh - Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:49 am

hi I m Umar From Pakistan. Few days back I have got report of semon analiysis Which shows the following figure.
Total sepurm count 95 Million
Fast Progressive 40%
Slow Progressive 25%
Leaiter. 10%
Immotal 25%

Head Defected 10%
Tail Decfected 10%
Middle defected 5%
Normal 75%

Please advice either I am normal or not to get my wife pregnent?
If not then kindly advice any medicen too?
 msfriendly - Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am

Hello, i am a best friend of a guy buddy of mine and he came to me for advice. He had told me that he had missed with an ex girlfriend of his one time and he did not ejucalute in her and he did it for no longer then 3 minutes. Then she told him she took the plan b and hour later. Now she pregnant and she saying he is the father and he ask me could it be his. I had told him that i remember when i told the plan b pill and i didnt not get pregnant and i took it two days later after visit with my doctor and my doctor had told me that it could reduce chances of future risk for a while. I told him that i not sure but i highly doubt it. She far enough along in her pregnancy to know that she is having a girl and she only told him when he found out through someone else that she saying its his. What is the percentage of her still getting pregnant from pre ejaculation if that happened and plan b?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Based on the information supplied here it seems unlikely he fathered the child but the only way to be sure is to do a paternity test after delivery. This would be advised because child support issues are at stake.