Question: Preganacy after Endometrial Balloon Ablasia?

vanzantroad - Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:55 am

Is it still possible to become pregnant and carry a healthy baby full term after endometrial balloon ablasia? I still have a regular period every month and am now cosidering having another baby, what are the risks associated with this or is it even possible?
 Jennifer R.N. - Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:48 pm

By the OB/GYN I work with it is still possible to get pregnant after an ablation. If there is even the slightest bit of lining left (which it sounds like there is being that you still have a period) an egg can implant itself. The problem is that as things grow there isn't enough uterine lining for the placenta to attach to so it implants itself into your muscle wall. When you have the baby, if you carry it to full term, and the placents detaches you'll hemmorrage. Possibly fataly. I was told that most women who do get pregnant after an ablation miscarry but if you don't it's best to have an abortion. If that's not an option for you then considering some form of birth control is usually best.