Question: Ectopic Pregnancy...how early can this be detected?

ajpviau - Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:11 pm

My wife had PID about two years ago and we were told this could increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy. My wife and I were trying for our first baby, and we were succesful in our first month of trying this past June. Based on estimates from our doctor, she is 7 weeks pregnant if you go by the first day of her last period, but is technically into the 4th week of pregnany based on approx. fertilization of the egg. The doctor did a urine test and blood test on the 13th of July (about 2 1/2 weeks or 18 days into the pregnancy) and it came back with an HCG level of 219. Our doctor also suggested we go for an ultrasound within the next few weeks.

Two questions...is 219 at 18 days a normal level for HCG and secondly, how early can an ultrasound detect an ectopic or normal pregnancy? My wife hasn't really had any symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy but we want to be cautious and get an answer as soon as possible to see if we are in the clear.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
 ajpviau - Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:12 am

My wife is now in the 9th week of pregnancy. We haven't officially gotten an aswer regarding the results of her ultrasound, but we were told we would get a call in a day or so if there was anythign to be concerened about. We haven't received a call in over a week so we assume we are okay. My wife has a follow up appointment on Friday so we will get an answer then.

Seeing as she is in week 9 and has no sysmptoms of Ectopc pregnancy, plus the apparent good ultrasound, are we more or less in the clear with regards to Ectopic pregnancy?

The only problems she is currently having is constant nausea and extreme lack of sleep (tossing and turning all night). Is that normal or an indication of something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!
 CharleenC - Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi ther eand congratulations! Sounds like you are a very knowledgeable couple and extremely excited!! Again congrats and best wishes.
As far as your questions.....since you havent heard from the US and also she is nine weeks, thats pretty good indication that it is not ectopic, there is always a possiblity however so any severe pain should take her to the hospital (which it normally would anyways). The nausea and restlessness are part of pregnancy and are unfortunately very normal. There are medications that can be prescribed that are safe (ie diclectin) for the nausea if it is too bothersome. Please keep me posted on the baby ok! Charleen
 ajpviau - Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:12 pm

Thanks for the reply! We are entering week 14 now so we are clear of Ectopic and we just had another Ultrasound a few days ago and everything appeared to be normal. We got to see a very good picture of our baby as well as it's tiny heart beating really fast!

My wife got a prescription for diclectin shortly after I posted last and she is feeling a bit better. Still losing sleep, but as many people have now told us, it is to be expected. Thanks again for the info and I will be sure to post any new developments as time goes by.

Antoine