Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Bartholin cyst

bean321 - Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:00 am

I think i have a Bartholin cyst. I have a small lump right on the ouside of my vagina. I researched all of my symptoms online and all I could find was Bartholin cysts. so i have been using warm compresses a few times a day for about a week now and the lump is getting smaller, i think it is helping. i don't think it is infected, it is not painful or anything but I was just wondering if I should avoid having sex until it completly goes away? i don't want to make it worse then it is and im not sure if haveing sex will hurt it. I also was wondering if it is going to go away with just the compresses and sitz baths or if i should go see my dr?? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 am

Treatment of Bartholin's gland infection or cyst must be accompanied by investigation for chlamydial or gonococcal infection as these STDs are commonly involved in the aetiology. Other non-sexually transmittted bacteria may be implicated in the cause but are unusual.
The first step is to get the diagnosis confirmed by your doctor who will then proceed with management in a professional way.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 lllucille - Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:58 am

I was plagued for years with problems with Bartholin Cysts - to the point that I ended up having a bilateral [both labia] marsupilization (don't know if I spelled that right) to get rid of the problem. I can tell you from my experience that if what you have is a BC, it can go away on its own with or without the sitz bath or compression. Sometimes it can clear up with antibiotics. Other times it may become so infected that the doctor will have to lance it and let it drain out and then clear up the rest with antibiotics. I would advise you NOT to have sex if you think you have a cyst, as yes, this can exacerbate the situation and make it worse. It might not be at a stage where having sex will cause it to hurt, but it may cause irritation and increase the chances of infection. I would advise you to see your doctor ASAP if the BC starts to hurt and rapidly increase in size. You won't want to wait, as it only gets larger and more painful as it fills with infectious fluids.
 elhazzja - Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:08 pm

I have had several white bumps in a straight line between the vaginal opening and clitoris for years now. They don't hurt or anything, although when they first appeared they itched to point of almost driving me mad. Nothing helped them. I went to the doctor because I feared genital warts, but he said that they were just clogged sebacious glands. They have never grown in size, but sometimes shrink in size and the doctor told me that they never go away but not to worry about them. I also have small bumps that I can't really see clear along my labia major, are those normal? There is one that is slightly larger but has never changed in size over the past 3 years. My pap smears have all been normal. Is this the same as the cysts that you are talking about?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us