Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal Pap

bea144 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi,

Since Jan. of 2004 I have had an abnormal pap with repeats every six months. Right away I requested a HPV DNA test which came back negative. Every time my results come in I am told that I have "very" mild dysplasia. Is this something that I should be concerned about? My doctor has not done a colposcopy. I do not smoke, I have been in a monogamous relationship for 7 years, and I have tested negative for STD's. I also seem to have frequent yeast infections that don't clear up easily with OTC medications. I have been give two doses of Diflucan this time. Could chronic yeast infections and mild dysplasia affect one another? Thanks!
 lllucille - Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:48 am

I am not a doctor but I have had abnormal paps - and cervical cancer which was removed. In my experience, "mildly" dysplasic is nothing to worry about. If you start to consistently have a higher level of dysplasia, your doctor will probably recomend other procedures to check it out. They don't seem to get too concerned with a mildly dysplasic test result. Sometimes it can be attributed to other factors such as lab error or other vaginal issues. I wouldn't worry unless you start to have consistent levels of high dysplasia.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us