Question: Group Strep B

jmary88 - Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:14 am

I'm 17 years old and my gynecologist believes that I may have group strep b... I'm not quite sure what this is or any of the long term or short term effects are of this. My doctor isn't even too sure about this either. he has only dealt with one other older lady who had this.. would you please be able to give me some statistics and info about this. Thank you in advance.
 maiden75 - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:24 am

I also have Group B Strep. Why were you tested for it?? Usually I think they only test your for it if you are pregnant and like 8 months along, at least that's when I got tested. It doesn't pose any risk to you, but you have to take antibiotics prior to delivering your baby because they could get sick. ( i had a perfectly healthy 11 pound baby!) One in four pregnant women have it, so it's very common. Don't worry about it, most people are only temporary carriers anyway, and even so, it's not going to do anything to you. Here's a website from the cdc...
:D
http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/gbs/gen_public_faq.htm