Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: 26 and missing periods for 3 years suddenly returned

 EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 am

I am a 26 year old female who has had missing periods for 3 years with the odd random cycle perhaps 6 times over the three years. In november last year they suddenly returned. I started puberty late at 16. and had a sharp pain in my lower side which i know think was probably my ovary and about 10 days later my periods started. They have always been irregular and long ( around 3 weeks) but are now alot shorter and lighter. I started the pill when in was 20 and stopped 18 months later as i put on alot of weight(don't know if connected with pilll) and felt different in myself. havent taken it since. Went to see doctor after a year and a half after stopping pill to say they had not come back she said she was not worried. then i had 3 cycles and they stopped again. and have had a few cycles randomly since the which have been light. any ideas as to what this could be? Could this be an early menopause as i used to get alot of hot flushes? :?:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 am

User avatar Hi EMD,
At 26 years old I would consider menopause quite unlikey. Where there no diagnostic studies to identify the absence of menstrual cycles? If there was not I would suggest that you inquire about this and at the very least, an untrasound to rule out ovarian disorders, for example, PCOS, thyroid function studies, and possibly a referral to an endocrinologist.
 EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

thank you :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us