Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: 26 and missing periods for 3 years suddenly returned

EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 am

I am a 26 year old female who has had missing periods for 3 years with the odd random cycle perhaps 6 times over the three years. In november last year they suddenly returned. I started puberty late at 16. and had a sharp pain in my lower side which i know think was probably my ovary and about 10 days later my periods started. They have always been irregular and long ( around 3 weeks) but are now alot shorter and lighter. I started the pill when in was 20 and stopped 18 months later as i put on alot of weight(don't know if connected with pilll) and felt different in myself. havent taken it since. Went to see doctor after a year and a half after stopping pill to say they had not come back she said she was not worried. then i had 3 cycles and they stopped again. and have had a few cycles randomly since the which have been light. any ideas as to what this could be? Could this be an early menopause as i used to get alot of hot flushes? :?:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 am

User avatar Hi EMD,
At 26 years old I would consider menopause quite unlikey. Where there no diagnostic studies to identify the absence of menstrual cycles? If there was not I would suggest that you inquire about this and at the very least, an untrasound to rule out ovarian disorders, for example, PCOS, thyroid function studies, and possibly a referral to an endocrinologist.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

thank you :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us