Question: 26 and missing periods for 3 years suddenly returned

EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 am

I am a 26 year old female who has had missing periods for 3 years with the odd random cycle perhaps 6 times over the three years. In november last year they suddenly returned. I started puberty late at 16. and had a sharp pain in my lower side which i know think was probably my ovary and about 10 days later my periods started. They have always been irregular and long ( around 3 weeks) but are now alot shorter and lighter. I started the pill when in was 20 and stopped 18 months later as i put on alot of weight(don't know if connected with pilll) and felt different in myself. havent taken it since. Went to see doctor after a year and a half after stopping pill to say they had not come back she said she was not worried. then i had 3 cycles and they stopped again. and have had a few cycles randomly since the which have been light. any ideas as to what this could be? Could this be an early menopause as i used to get alot of hot flushes? :?:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 am

User avatar Hi EMD,
At 26 years old I would consider menopause quite unlikey. Where there no diagnostic studies to identify the absence of menstrual cycles? If there was not I would suggest that you inquire about this and at the very least, an untrasound to rule out ovarian disorders, for example, PCOS, thyroid function studies, and possibly a referral to an endocrinologist.
 EMD - Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

thank you :D