Question: All Outta Whack

joey1120 - Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Let me begin by saying my period is like clockwork. My cycle is every 25 days (give or take 1 on occassion) and lasts 4-5 days. But, last month, my period was two days late then only lasted for two days. I took a home pg test and it was negative so I took a wait-and-see attitude. This month, it came five days early (this has never happened in my 15 years of periods). On the first day of my period, I usually have to change a full tampon every 3-4 hours, but, this time, I only used up one tampon in 6.5 hours and another for the rest of that day and two the next day, although bleeding was much lighter and didn't fill the tampons. On the third day, it completely stopped again. I spotted on the fourth day, noticeable only when I went to the bathroom. Stopped the next day. And spotted again the next (which was the day I was supposed to start my period), again, noticeable only when I went to the bathroom and wiped, although not EVERY time I go to the bathroom. It stopped after that.

Also, my PMS was normal both of these months, maybe not as severe as it usually is, but, after I had my bleeding, PMS symptoms went away. Here I am two weeks before I'm due again (going by the day bleeding occurred, not by the day it was due) and my breats are extremely tender again. As I said, however, this is the only part of my cycle that has been normal. I also noticed that with my tender breasts this month, came a slightly swollen (tight) vagina. Also, my cervical mucus has changed. All of a sudden, I'm more dry than I think I've ever been, as I usually have a good bit of natural discharge (always have).

So, do you have any idea if this could be an ectopic pregnancy and what signs I should look for there? I've done some research on hyperthyroidism, PCOS, and ovarian cysts, as those seem to be the only other conditions I could find that would cause an abnormal, light/short period. I'm so confused, however, because I don't appear to have any other symptoms in any four (including pregnancy) of the conditions that it could be. Am I missing something?

I do have a doctor's appointment scheduled, but it's three weeks out. Thanks for any help you can give. I've search so many online forums and web sites for women with similar situations, but have been unable to find one that is exactly like mine (although i'm not terribly surprised by that, just still without answers).
 mamaof4 - Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:08 pm

I had my fourth child in March of this year. It was by c-section. I breastfed him for almost 4 months.
I had the usual bleeding after delivery which took a long time to clear up. Finally it did. Then this brown bleeding began. I thought it might be my period, but it comes and goes every 10-15 days. I have never had a regular cycle. I have always been irregular. My cramps during menstruation are extreme with heavy blood loss the second and third days. But this brown blood does not cause any cramping. There is no odor. It's not heavy either.

What is this? I was just bleeding last week, stopped for a few days and started again. Strange...