Question: Extremely Light Periods are Worrying Me.

dmh - Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:19 pm

I have never had regular periods, but they've always been normal. However in the past 4 months i've had 2 periods, both only lasting 3-5 days. They are so light that i could go without even using panty-liners.
I get these periods with the normal discharge and shedding of my uterus, but i still get no blood whatsoever.
During the last 4 months my water-weight has also increase and there are periods in the day wherein i look pregnant. My mother has even said this to me.
I am wondering what is wrong and if my body is somehow retaining the blood that i should be discharging?

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Did you check if you are pregnant or not. Sometimes early in pregnancy you may have spotting or a brownish discharge at the time your period would normally come. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test.

If pregnancy is excluded and you are still experiencing spotting then you should check with your gynecologist. This is to exclude the presence of any abnormal cause for your spotting.

Best regards