Question: Pregnacy anxiety.....PLEASE HELP

crbrooks - Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:02 am

Hi. I'm 12 months preg. now and am extremely anxious about everything involing the pregnacy. This is my first and I am so nervouse that it's not funny. It's so bad that I'll deal with really bad headaches instead of taking tylonole even though my od said it was ok. I freak out about the slightest things. I'm so worried that I will misscarry or the baby will be born deformed, even though i would have no reason to. I have convinced myself that I'm not having a normal pregnacy even though all of my checkups have been fine. I even heard the baby's heartbeat last week. Every time I get an odd cramp I'm convinced I'm having a eptopic pregnancy, though i've been told it's just due to normal stretching of the muscles.

I even freak out about the thought of having drugs during labor. I don't want them because of the possible side effects but ( don't like the idea of having something stuck in my spine), at the same time I'm terrified of the pain that I'll have. I don't even want to think abotu having a c-section and a spinal block. the thought of that just makes me nauseous.

Yesterday I had two sips of a glass of wine and felt guilty all day long. I will go so far as to hold my breath when I pass by someone that is somking a ciggarette. I never was a parrinoid person before this and am just wondering if it's normal to be this parinoid. I can only imagine that it will get worse for me the futher along I get.

I really need help. I can't go on worrying like this because I know extra stress is the last thing I need being preg. I just want someone to give me some tips to help calm me down that don't require seeing a psych. or reading books, I've read a bunch of pregnancy booksbut they just put ideas in my head because i seem to be attracted to the problems they talk about.

thanks for any help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:14 am

User avatar Hi crbrooks,
First let me congratulate you on your pregnancy. It is such an awesomely amazing event knowing that a life is developing right inside you. You do sound anxious over the upcoming events. Two sips of wine, most likely wouldn't cause any problems although I would advise avoiding alcohol altogether during pregnancy. Occasional cramps do occur during pregnancy because of the mucles and ligaments making adjustments for the changing in size and weight of the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies present with profound pain upon rupture if located in the fallopian tube with a multitude of other symptoms. An ultrasound can detect if a pregnancy is developing inside or outside the uterus. If your exams have been normal to present then I would have to think that your pregnancy has no current complications. An epidural during labor is for use of analgesics or pain blocking agents and are at the patients choice not forced upon by physicians or staff. Keep in mind that labor although it is difficult, when you take one look at that wonderous being that you hold in your arms anything else seems to dissipate. Meanwhile eat a healthy diet, avoid use of alcohol and nicotine, get regular exercise and enjoy the fact of being pregnant and knowing that a life is develping and changing with every single day. Make a list of your questions and concerns to discuss with your physician at your next appointment. Good luck to you!