Question: Early menopause?

mollychel - Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:10 pm

I am a 36 year old female. I have two children, a seven year old boy, and a nine year old daughter. I had both of them c-section, due to having a very small cavity and being so retroflexed.
I had a tubal ligation approximately 2 years ago. My periods since then have continually gotten worse, especially within the last 6-months. But today, within a 4 hour period of time, I had to change my super-plus tampons AND a maxi-pad 4 times. I am dropping alot of clots, most of them about the size of a quarter or silver dollar. I have put on 60 lbs in the last year.I'm always hot, except there are a few occations when I am freezing. My depression is now worse, I have again started seeing a LCSW.
I feel horrible. I look horrible. And, frankly, I don't know what to do with myself.
I know that this posting my seem very blunt, I am sorry for that, but that would about expalin how I feel right now. And, do keep from bursting into tears, I decided to cut it short.
So, if you could tell me, do you think it sounds like a am pre-menopausal? My mother didn't even start hers until she was almost 60. Being that I am only 36, I thought that maybe it could be something ele, but this seems to make more since. And, it would explain alot.
Thank you for listening. I had to say something before I committed myself. It feels like I am going nuts!
Thanks again!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:48 am

User avatar mollychel,
It does'nt sound that you are perimenopausal but it does sound like you need to be examined and investigated by your gynecologist. Blood clots are an indication of excessive bleeding which is not healthy a very healthy thing. Your have every reason for dissapointment. When was the last time you got an ultrasound?
 mollychel - Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:01 pm

Dr. Fouad-
Thank you for responding!
I just had an ultrasound done last week, and the only thing I know so far is that there are some cysts on my right ovary. I have to go back this week to have my annual done and I am hoping that tells a little more. I don't think that it would be the cysts causing that. I have had them before, and the only thing that I usually have to deal with is if they burst. Do you think that my sudden and major weight gain could have something do to with it?
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

Sorry for the interruption, but I was wondering if a thyroid profile was done?

- Bill
 mollychel - Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:57 pm

No, should there be? I go back to see my doctor on Thursday. What all should I ask her?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:40 pm

User avatar Hi!

I think your doctor is in the best position to answer that question. I would think it best to discuss if there is any need for a thyroid profile with your doctor. I feel some of your symptoms could be related. But I could be wrong.

Warm regards,

- Bill
 mollychel - Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:41 pm

Well, I went and had tests ran. So far, my thyroid and blood sugar were okay, but they found that I was no longer ovulating. She told me it was due to my weight gain. I was so upset. They scheduled surgery next month for me, I am having a DNC and Endometrial Ablation (?spelling). Anyway, why does my weight have so much to do with it?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:59 am

User avatar Hi!

You are probably diagnosed with what is called Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding [DUB].

The most common etiology of heavy uterine bleeding is anovulatory cycles i.e., menstrual cycles without ovulation. The finding of increased menstrual bleeding at irregular intervals without any known cause confirms the clinical diagnosis. This is most common in adolescent and perimenopausal populations.

The hallmarks of PCOS [Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome] are anovulation, irregular menses, obesity, and hirsutism [male pattern hair like facial]. Insulin resistance is common and increases androgen [male hormone] production by the ovaries.

Hyperinsulinemia [increased insulin in the blood] is a direct consequence of your weight gain. This overproduction of insulin leads to ovarian production of androgens and stops ovulation, as occurs in PCOS.

D&C could be used to pin the exact diagnosis as well as rule out malignancy, and for some after doing that the whole problem gets solved, but only for 1-2 months. Uterine ablation is standard therapy for Dysfunctional uterine bleeding [DUB], while surgical removal of the uterus would be definitive therapy.

I hope that helped.

Warm regards,

-Bill
 mollychel - Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:53 am

I got my results back from the biopsy yesterday and they were negative, thank god. Oh, and I have another question maybe you can answer. When they dilated my cervex to do the biopsy, I bled for several days, like having a period, only I had just gotten off my regular cycle about a week before. Now it feels like I am going to start another cycle. Whats this all about? :?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:17 pm

User avatar Hi!

Thank God indeed that the biopsy came out normal. Most people experience cramps, like menstrual cramps, immediately after a D&C. These usually last no more than 1 half hour. Some women may experience cramps for a day or longer. You may also have some light bleeding for several days as well.

As for another cycle on the anvil, I am not sure, but if you have bleeding for prolonged periods and/or heavy bleeding requiring change of pads several times an hour, it would be time to call your doctor. Fever, foul smelling discharge from the vagina, or if you feel severe and persistent cramps, again, you may have to call upon your doctor.

Warm regards,

-Bill
 mollychel - Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:26 am

WELL, I DID. I STARTED WHAT SEEMS TO BE MY THIRD PERIOD THIS MONTH. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO HURRY UP AND SCHEDULE MY SURGERY. I AM SO TIRED ALL THE TIME. WHAT WILL IT BE LIKE AFTER THEY DO THE ENOMETRIAL ABLATION?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:05 pm

User avatar Hi!

Endometrial ablation is the destruction of the inner layer of the uterine wall using laser/thermal/rollerball/resectoscope. Endometrial ablation is an alternative for those who wish to avoid hysterectomy (removal of uterus) or who are not candidates for major surgery. Ablation and hysterectomy are surgical measures reserved for situations when medical therapy has failed or is contraindicated.

The advantage of ablation is that the procedure is more conservative than hysterectomy and has a shorter recovery time.

The disadvantage is that high rates of rebleeding following ablation have raised concern about the possibility of an occult(hidden) endometrial cancer developing within a pocket of active endometrium. Further studies are needed to quantify this risk.

Perhaps the best measure of successful treatment is a good menstrual calendar. You should keep a calendar to record daily bleeding patterns. This will serve to document severity of blood loss and impact on daily activities.

But be assured that most bleeding stops with the appropriate therapy.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

-Bill
 mollychel - Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:33 pm

YOU HAVE BEEN SO GOOD ABOUT WRITING BACK, I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT!
WHY WOULD THEY HAVE TO DO THE ABLATION AND A DNC? WOULDN'T THE ABLATION TAKE CARE OF BOTH?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:14 am

User avatar Hi!

In ablation one destroys the tissues, while in D&C they scrape the tissue for further examination. Though the D&C might seem similar to an ablation, it is not as complete, and is more of a diagnostic/investigational procedure than a therapeutic one. Ablation will not allow the examination of non-destroyed tissues.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill
 mollychel - Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:48 am

Is there alot of pain afterwards? They told me that if I heal very well, I might think about going back to work by Thursday (the surgery is Monday), but I might be better off staying down for about 5 days. Some people that I have talked to (who haven't even had the surgery) think that if shouldn't take that long for me to heal. What do you think?
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:39 pm

User avatar Hi!

Perhaps this link would be helpful:

http://www.ivf.com/eablate.html

Warm regards,

Bill
 Matilda Hazel - Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 am

Hi there I really would like to ask a question of the doctor who answered the original since it applies to my case in a way and I seem to be unable to find the place where I can create a brand new post. I hope that you can answer my question. Thank you.

I am 32 and am having a laproscopic removal of my ovaries on August 11. Otherwise healthy, I have had a bilateral mastectomy due to stage 1 breast cancer (no chemo or radiation) this year and am having the oopherectomy due to my BRCA2+ status as part of my treatment (in addition I have been on Zoladex 3.6 for 8 months). I am visiting the tattoo artist who will be doing my areaola tattoos 1 week before my surgery and plan to have him do another tattoo on my arm. My surgeon is off until the day I have the appointment so I can't ask her, do you see any reason why I would be refused my surgery if I had received a tattoo 1 week prior? The tattoo artist is one who has been used by the hospital for 12 years.

Thank you