Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Do I have an STD?

 Hailey39 - Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:59 am

I have had one sexual partner all my life, but we split and in last few months I had someone else. We spent the weekend together, had sex a total of three times and it has been two days since.
I am having severe symptoms of itching and burning on my vulva. I have had 2 yeast infections in the past and this seems worse. I have absolutley no unusual discharge or odor. nor do I have any blisters or sores. I have been doing as much research as possible the last two days and all I could hope was that I have a yeast infection, but there is no "cottage-cheesy" discharge at all.
I used monistat and the burning seems to have worsened. I understand the symptoms of most all stds and none of my symtoms match up.What could be happening to me? I need your help and I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

I hope you are feeling better by now.

Vulvovaginal itching generally is not a normal finding in healthy women.[1] Itching is usually most noticeable with a yeast infection, though it may occur with any type of infection or irritation. An irritated vaginal lining, which may be particularly itchy or painful during intercourse, is usually a more prominent symptom of atrophic vaginitis (such as occurs in postmenopausal women). Pain and itching when urinating may occur in trichomoniasis. Other dermatologic conditions (eg, lichen sclerosis and, rarely, vulvar cancer) should also be considered, especially in the absence of candidal infection.[2]

Usually a gynecologist will be able to tell by clinical examination and colposcopy what the problem is. If there is evidence of vaginal irritation this may be a manifestation of contact or allergic vaginitis. If on examination there is an a focal area of abnormal tisse a biopsy may be required.

1. Haefner HK. Current evaluation and management of vulvovaginitis. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1999;42:184-95.
2. Reilly BM. Practical strategies in outpatient medicine. 2d ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1991:1016-46.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us