Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: bloody breast discharge

Snow - Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:13 pm

Hello, I really appreciate this site!
I'm 26 years old. I have never had children or sex for that matter. I have always had trouble with menstruations, and I am obese. I went to the gyn when my breast first started having clear discharge. He sent me to have a breast sonogram, bloodwork (to check my prolactin), and a head ct--thinking it was my pituitary gland. Everything came back perfectly normal. Then I started birth control pills--Lo-Ovra right after those tests--which was a little over a month ago. So I started my period 7 days ago and a couple days after that I noticed that there was blood on my nipple. By squeezing it out, blood came out along with the regular clear discharge. I've also started having cramps on the under side of my breast. I'm on lots of meds--antidepressants--sinus meds--and weight loss prescription pills. I soooo don't want to have to go back to the dr!! I'm sure you'll tell me to so can you give me any info about what I should ask him? And can you give me some possibilities as to what could be going on?
Thanks
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:51 am

All breast nipple discharges should be evaluated by a breast surgeon and if they persist, even though confirmed to be due to benign causes, must be reevaluated on a regular basis.

A blood-stained or bloody nipple discharge must be investigated by a mammogram and ductogram to exclude benign causes such as intraductal papilloma, or sinister causes such as intraductal cancer or other forms of breast cancer.

In most cases, a bloody or blood-stained nipple discharge is due to a papilloma or infection. A papilloma is a non-cancerous, wart-like tumor that has grown inside the breast duct.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical and Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us