Question: Left breast pain

southerner - Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:03 pm

I am a 54 year old woman. For the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing pain in my left breast. At first it started as a dull ache. I now have pain and tenderness under my left arm and around to my back around my shoulder blade. It is painful to the touch. I also have extreme tenderness along the bottom of my sternum. I am very worried about what this pain might mean. I had a mamogram in May 2004 which resulted in my having a lump removed from my right breast. The pathology showed that the larger lump was benign but there was a very tiny place that was invasive adneocarcinom. My surgeron said there was no lymph node involement and that the cancer was so tiny and contained that he felt sure that he had gotten it all. I was rechecked the end of September and he also did a thermography test and an ultra sound of the breast. He said that he did not see any signs of cancer. I have done my breast exams, but since I have a history of firbocystic breast disease, sometimes it is hard to feel anything. In fact all the breast lumps I have had over the years have never been felt, they only showed up in mamograms. I have had 3 biopsies of the left breast over a period of 20 years and they have always been benign. It was only the lump in the right breast that had that very tiny speck of cancer attached to it.

I also have recently been experiencing problems with acid reflux. Especially after eating and sometimes at night I wake up from sleep when acid comes into my throat and chokes me. I have been taking Pepcid Complete for a couple of days. Several years ago I did have ulcers, but it has been a very long time since I have had trouble.

I am wrting to get your help because I am very concerned. My husband lost his industrial engineering job last July due to his company closing. Unfortunately, we lost all our insurance benfits. He is still unemployed and I am without a physician since I do not have insurance.

Any comments would be most appreciated.
 Mom4kids - Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:14 am

I'm new here.
I'm NOT a doctor
I'll probably be banned

I realize you have no insurance, but please, go find a dr that will take payments if you have too! Most dr's are very cool about the no insurance thing and they will work with you.

Sounds to me like you may have some kind of infection going on there. But I'm NOT a dr.