Question: strange question-need help

shnncof - Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:01 pm

This is a strange question but I am 19 weeks pregnant and 3 days ago I developed a TERRIBLE sharp pain in my abdomen.It is left side more upper than lower about 1 inch below bottom ribs and forward about an inch or so and the pain is about an inch round.I first thought ligament pain but here is where I get concerned.I first felt like it was gas but no matter what it was not relieved.It was constant and severe and when having a bowel movement or passing gas it is EXCRUTIATING!!!! I can push there and it is terrible pain.I have not had alot of gas but my bowels have changed to diaherria like and not much each time but I am passing gas,burping a lot, and having bowel movements some what so I know it is not a blockage.I feel it is intestinal but it makes no sense.can this still be ligament pain and if so can ligament pain cause SEVERE pain CONSTANT never ending and pain with bowels movements?The pain is bad I do not want to move it hurts.I already have been diaginosed with UTI that we can't get to go away and chronic cervicitis putting me at risk for preterm labor but I do not think they have any part on this but i do not know.I called my Dr. and nurse said it sounded like pulled muscle but she was not listening about the pain is CONSTANT, SEVERE, and hurts when even passing gas or a bowel movement. I feel it is more but would like an opinion.I am scared and hurting not sure what to think. 3 days and no relief just still severe pain!!Please help.
Shannon
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:05 am

User avatar Hi shnncof,
A pulled muscle can cause significant pain. However, since you are still experiencing such pain, call your physicians office back and request an evaluation.
 shnncof - Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49 am

I did call them back this morning and all I get is it might be a pulled muscle and it might not but that if it isn't they have no real way of knowing since they do not deal with intestinal problems .I was told to either go to ER with the pain or try to deal.I just would like to know can a pulled muscle in my left side cause pain when passing gas or having a bowel movement.I was laying still in bed afraid to move and could feel the gas moving through me and it caused me great deal of pain yet I never passed any gas.I never heard of a pulled muscle causing problems with your intestines before? Can it? It is the same spot I have not hurt anywhere but this one spot and I only worry since my bowels have messed up and it hurts.Also nauseas this morning since not passing normal regular bowels any longer BUT I am still passing a small one every now and then.So anyones opinion on this is helpful.I do not want to look stupid by going into the ER and it be nothing but do not want to sit here if it could be something serious.And the pain with bowel movements IS NOT from straining I hurt BEFORE I feel the need to go.If it is inflammation would it be bad for the baby and how long would it take to go away on it's own?Thank you!!!
Shannon
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:41 am

User avatar Hi shnncof,
My opinion...you should have an evaluation. If it turns out to be a pulled muscle then great in comparison to something more serious. Why risk it....get evaluated.
 shnncof - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:51 am

Thank you. I guess if I am not doing any better by this evening which is very doubtful I will go on to the ER. I was thinking as you said better finding out it is nothing rather than it being something just was not sure what any one else thought.Do you know what test can be done since I am pregnant to see if it is bowels or not? Just curious since my Dr.s office seemed to think there was not much.Hope it is nothing but thank you!!!
Shannon
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:08 pm

User avatar Hi shnncof,
The risk of having an upper gi with a small bowel follow through (xray procedure) during pregnancy is unknown. The physician in the emergency room should be able to determine which test is safe taking into consideration the gestation of your pregnancy, and if a bowel obstruction is suspected/present then he/she will establish the best method of care for you and your baby. Get well soon, and I hope that when your time permits you would consider posting a follow up.