Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Clear Nipple Discharge

daysfan - Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 am

Hi,

I sleep in a sleep bra because I have large breasts. When I woke up this morning there was a spot about as big as a half dollar that was wet on the bra. My nipple was discharging a clear watery liquid. Is this serious? I am 32 and had a total abdominal hysterectomy when I was 28. My breast is tingly and a little painful around the nipple. Can you offer any advice?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:36 pm

The majority of bilateral nipple discharges are associated with hormonal imbalances.

However, nipple discharge is of concern if it is on one side only and :
is spontaneously discharging without squeezing the nipple
is persistent
is clear, watery or yellowish (pus-like)
is bloody, blood-stained, or with a pink to brown color

About 90% of nipple discharge may be due to benign conditions such as papilloma, fibrocystic disease or duct ectasia. In about 10% of nipple discharge, the cause is due to a malignant lesion. Discharge caused by a malignant condition is almost always on one side only (unilateral). Discharge that is coming from both breasts (bilateral) is usually benign.

Examination for a suspicious nipple discharge should involve a clinical breast examination under a breast surgeon, a blood test for prolactin levels, a mammogram and ductogram and any other tests as indicated by the results of the surgeon’s assessment.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 daysfan - Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:17 pm

Thank you so much! I just got back from the doctor and he is going to schedule a mamogram for me since my aunt had breast cancer in her 30s. Thanks again!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us