Question: Clear Nipple Discharge

daysfan - Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:03 am

I sleep in a sleep bra because I have large breasts. When I woke up this morning there was a spot about as big as a half dollar that was wet on the bra. My nipple was discharging a clear watery liquid. Is this serious? I am 32 and had a total abdominal hysterectomy when I was 28. My breast is tingly and a little painful around the nipple. Can you offer any advice?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:36 pm

The majority of bilateral nipple discharges are associated with hormonal imbalances.

However, nipple discharge is of concern if it is on one side only and :
is spontaneously discharging without squeezing the nipple
is persistent
is clear, watery or yellowish (pus-like)
is bloody, blood-stained, or with a pink to brown color

About 90% of nipple discharge may be due to benign conditions such as papilloma, fibrocystic disease or duct ectasia. In about 10% of nipple discharge, the cause is due to a malignant lesion. Discharge caused by a malignant condition is almost always on one side only (unilateral). Discharge that is coming from both breasts (bilateral) is usually benign.

Examination for a suspicious nipple discharge should involve a clinical breast examination under a breast surgeon, a blood test for prolactin levels, a mammogram and ductogram and any other tests as indicated by the results of the surgeon’s assessment.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 daysfan - Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:17 pm

Thank you so much! I just got back from the doctor and he is going to schedule a mamogram for me since my aunt had breast cancer in her 30s. Thanks again!