Question: pregnancy test..

teegs - Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:16 am

this might seem like a stupid question but its really stressing me out..
I'm 21, no children. I had unprotected sex about two weeks ago and now am slightly paranoid.. My period was due on the 9th and didn't come, so I took a home pregnancy test that morning and the result was negative. My period arrived the next day.
I was just about to throw the test out now, I was looking at it again and I noticed the window where the positive line shows up had a kind of smudgy line on it.. and now that's scared me. Its just that I read on the internet that some women still get their period while they're pregnant... But the test was clearly negative on the 9th, two days ago, is it perhaps a late result or is the test just kind of rotting away?
 Mom4kids - Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 am

I'm not a dr, but I'd say It's cause the test is old. On the instructions it should have something in there about NOT re-reading the test after about 10 minutes. If you still have the instructions double check them, but I'd be willing to say that it changed cause it was old.
 Gracie - Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:58 am

Pregnancy tests will develop evaporation marks on them after a certain period of time has passed. Pregnancy tests should not be read after 10 minutes. Most you can read in 3 minutes. If the test was negative, and you got your period, then you have nothing to worry about. The chances of getting pregnant during your period are very very slim to none.
 color19 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:47 am

I am not a doctor or a nurse. I took a pregnancy test before, and once a negative result appeared to be positive. The second line was showing kind of smudged. I was not pregnant. Also, you should read the results right after the instructed time.