Question: period lasting too long?

gt1924 - Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 am

I HAVE NOT HAD A PERIOD FOR 5 YEARS AND RECENTLY WENT AN OB/GYN. HE THINKS I MIGHT HAVE PSOS. I WANT TO HAVE A BABY. HE PUT ME ON PROVERA 10MG FOR 5 DAYS TO HAVE MY PERIOD. HE WANTS ME TO TRY AND LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE I TRY TO HAVE A BABY. I TOOK THE PROVERA AND 3 DAYS LATER STARTED MY PERIOD. IT HAS BEEN 11DAYS SO FAR AND ABOUT 8 WERE PRETTY HEAVY. NOW IT IS LIGHTER BUT STILL VERY CLUMPY AND CONSISTANT. I EXPECTED TO HAVE A HEAVY FLOW BUT DID NOT EXPECT TO HAVE IT THIS LONG. IS THIS NORMAL OR IS THE PROVERA MAKING THIS HAPPEN? I'VE ALSO READ HORROR STORIES ABOUT TRYING TO HAVE A BABY AFTER BEING ON PROVERA. SHOULD I BE EVEN TAKING THIS IF I PLAN TO CONCIEVE SOON? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.
 Kacheri - Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:13 pm

I am not a nurse or a doctor but I to, have PCOS. Since you did not have your period for 5 years the provera is doing it's job. So in that aspect that is normal. Now once your body gets used to having periods again then you can consult with your ob/gyn to take you off the provera and put you on fertility drugs so you can conceive. Losing weight helps with having regular periods without the drugs. But if you do more research on PCOS you will find it is more difficult for us to lose the weight. I highly urge you to start now, it really makes a difference. Do as much research as you can on PCOS. The more you know about this disease the better chance you have to control the many symptoms that it has now and in the future.