Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: period lasting too long?

gt1924 - Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 am

I HAVE NOT HAD A PERIOD FOR 5 YEARS AND RECENTLY WENT AN OB/GYN. HE THINKS I MIGHT HAVE PSOS. I WANT TO HAVE A BABY. HE PUT ME ON PROVERA 10MG FOR 5 DAYS TO HAVE MY PERIOD. HE WANTS ME TO TRY AND LOSE WEIGHT BEFORE I TRY TO HAVE A BABY. I TOOK THE PROVERA AND 3 DAYS LATER STARTED MY PERIOD. IT HAS BEEN 11DAYS SO FAR AND ABOUT 8 WERE PRETTY HEAVY. NOW IT IS LIGHTER BUT STILL VERY CLUMPY AND CONSISTANT. I EXPECTED TO HAVE A HEAVY FLOW BUT DID NOT EXPECT TO HAVE IT THIS LONG. IS THIS NORMAL OR IS THE PROVERA MAKING THIS HAPPEN? I'VE ALSO READ HORROR STORIES ABOUT TRYING TO HAVE A BABY AFTER BEING ON PROVERA. SHOULD I BE EVEN TAKING THIS IF I PLAN TO CONCIEVE SOON? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.
 Kacheri - Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:13 pm

I am not a nurse or a doctor but I to, have PCOS. Since you did not have your period for 5 years the provera is doing it's job. So in that aspect that is normal. Now once your body gets used to having periods again then you can consult with your ob/gyn to take you off the provera and put you on fertility drugs so you can conceive. Losing weight helps with having regular periods without the drugs. But if you do more research on PCOS you will find it is more difficult for us to lose the weight. I highly urge you to start now, it really makes a difference. Do as much research as you can on PCOS. The more you know about this disease the better chance you have to control the many symptoms that it has now and in the future.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us