Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Please Help! Very Unusual Period.

color19 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:35 am

Hi, I am 20 years old and for about a month my period has been unusual. I had been having intercourse with my partner with a condom as protection. But from about 2 months ago we had unprotected intercourse a few times over a period of a month. The problem is that from about a month ago I have been bleeding small amounts almost everyday. I think I started my period on the 10th of august and the timing is about right. I get my period about every 5 weeks. But the problem with this is that it is not heavy as usual and I am not experiencing my usual cramps. Usually I get really bad pain during the first 2 days of my period. However, yesterday, I felt a spontaneous pain on my lower back when I bent down about 3 times. I have not felt that pain after that. I have never been on the pill. I wonder if I could be pregnant, had a miscarriage, or could it be something else? Is all this related to stress? Also, would I get an accurate result if I take a home pregnancy test right now? I am confused and worried. I would greatly appreciate any replies to this post. Thank You!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:15 am

User avatar If you had unprotected sex, then yes, you could be pregnant, and if it was 2 months ago, then you would get a positive pregnancy test.
Periods can change depending on a lot of different things, such as stress, so if this if this was just one ambormal period, I would not be to concerned after you rule out pregnancy.
It is possible to be pregnant and have a "missed miscarriage" which many woman pass off as just a regular period.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us