Question: Did I miscarry, or was it my normal period?

rhuston76 - Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:39 am

I am on the generic form of Alesse 28 birth control. I started my period 3 days after taking the inactive pills. Normally, it is a bright red fluid. This time is was darker, almost brown, and had "clots" in it. After 3 days, I was pretty much cleared up (which is normal for me) and I had intercourse. Following that I used the restroom and noticed an off-white, semi-clear sack with a reddish-brown blob inside of it. It was about the size of a nickel and it had a tail on it like a tadpole about 1/2 inch long. Could this have been an embryo in it's earliest stages or just a thicker discharge of my uterine lining more than usual? Is it too late to find out if I was pregnant now because the HCG levels have gone down? I would kind of like to know in order to prevent getting pregnant in the future. Maybe I need to have my dosage on BC pills upped or something.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:09 pm

User avatar hCG levels decline slowly following a miscarriage. It takes 35-42 days following surgical removal of the "products of conception" for the hCG level to disappear and it takes 6-8 weeks for menstrual cycles to resume following interruption of pregnancy.
It would be advisable to seek a gynecologists opinion because if it were a miscarriage there may still be tissue that needs removal.