Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Burning during intercourse

 Sunblosm - Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:22 pm

Help me!

I've been plagued with burning in the walls/lips of my vagina for the past 5 monthes -- and haven't been able to have sex with my long term boyfriend for that long.

It all began with a rather sever UTI. This was followed by recurrent UTIs, a bacterial infection, and yeast infection. However, I was tested today, and am clear of all three. Last night when I attempted sex, it burned, was extremely painful, and the burning lingered for several hours.

Is this simply a side effect of all that has been going on, or could it be something more serious. I would love to be able to enjoy love making with my significant other once again.
 Dr. L. Chu Go - Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:16 am

try applying a lubricant first like water-based KY jelly (make sure you do a skin test first to check for hypersensitivity reactions).


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us