Question: ibuprofen

Karen Militar - Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 pm

I've read an internet article regarding Menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) which can be treated with ibuprofen, mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid (for surgical bleeding).

I'm wondering if the uterine lining or edometrial lining had already build p during the third and fourth week of the menstrual cycle, how would the medicines help reduce the bleeding?

Isn't it that those build-up should pass out to clean up the uterus? Or would these build-up just stay inside the uterus and dry up?

Thank you and best regards,
Karen
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:03 am

User avatar Hi Karen,
These medications have an effect on the amount of blood loss not the shedding of uterine contents. One concern for women who suffer from Menorrhagia is anemia from the excessive blood loss. However, the cause of the disorder should always be identified.
 Karen Militar - Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:18 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I think that would mean the uterine lining would eventually be shed off along the way.

Best Regards,
Karen